Can a B&G and GW live in a same cage?

bobby

Apr 14, 2013
Birmingham, England
Parrots
Koko-Budgie === Amazon-Parrotlet===Bigggy-Blue and gold macaw===Chum-Green wing macaw
Hello!
I just wanted to know can we put a green wing macaw in the same cage as a blue and gold macaw? The cage is very big. A trusted breeder said it certainly was big enough for both of them to live happily. Also they are very friendly (the parrots) with each other.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I wish I felt comfortable enough to do that with my birds [I just dont ] It would be great though. But I wouldnt take the chance IMO. :)

sharkstor

Jun 2, 2012
Media
Maryland
Parrots
Molly the Mil
Moses the Monster, GW
Shouldn't be a problem if they like each. If not, wellllll. My GW and Military live in the same cage together but they have been around each other since they were 4 weeks old. They play pretty rough at times but Molly the Milly puts big boy in his place. I have not seen any blood yet but if that happens, I'd have to rethink things. I believe the general rule is that large Macs can be caged together but putting small Macaws or other parrots in the same cage with large Macaws is begging for a disaster.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
How long have they known each other? Do they ever sit next to each other on a perch? whose cage is it...is that bird really mellow...if not, it could become jealous that the other bird is encroaching on his/her space.....

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
I have read of many folks who can & do house their large macaws together. My two Catalinas are brothers, one is 5 months older than the other one. I brought them home the same day & was able to keep them together in a 5'X8' walk in aviary in my living room for the first 3 months. They also were able to share the same play perch together during this time.

Then Roscoe, the younger brother began to be dominate over Angel & would bite his feet to make him move about the cage & play perch. Angel can't stand due to a birth defect, but can climb with the best of them. Once Roscoe started this I divided the aviary so each had half of it & gave both their own play perches.:)

So, in some cases yes it can be done & in other cases no they each need their own space. I figured at some point they would have to be separated and I knew I had the space to accomplish it. I personally feel that each parrot needs its own enclosure unless they are a mated pair or you are planning to make them a pair. :red1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts