Can a new macaw get too much petting?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Talking about Gus. He's been here exactly a week now from the rescue. We are establishing a family pattern: Hubs feeds him breakfast and preens/pets him in the morning. Gus will allow me to approach him, but he obviously wants to be with Hubs, and that's the way it should be so fine. Then in the evening Gus sits with Hubs or on the perch next to him until bedtime. Doesn't really want me to pick him up then though he will allow a scratch or two out of mercy to me.

Afternoons have been for me, though. I take him out onto the screen porch and he sits on my arm and lets me scratch his head. Today we were out there for almost three hours. He wound up sitting in my lap and letting me stroke his feathers from his head all the way down the outsides of his wings, which he never let me touch before. He doesn't want me to stop petting: if I stop rubbing his head he puts his beak very gently around my finger and lifts it. I sure enjoyed this time, but I wonder if there is a possible downside. Could I be making him too needy and dependent?

He doesn't like his toy, and he doesn't like his cage - the bars are too small and I think it hurts his feet to climb on them. He gets a new, official macaw cage Monday and there will be better places to put toys/ladders/food dishes high up so he can eat without climbing down. Will get some different kinds of toys to see what he likes. Then he can entertain himself if he's not being worshipped enough. Is it OK to have long scratching sessions for a while, or should I stop them after a point? I don't want to encourage any behavior problems...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As long as both of you are splitting time, and he continues to want preening you're find. However, it is important to create times when he self-entertains, i.e. Humans have a habit of disappearing from time to time, you should be fine. So, begin working that into his daily schedule. The issue regarding being 'needy' or 'screaming' is always possible and that is why it is so important to teach and practice self-entertainment!

You can also play games, like pass the Birdie. The goal is to assure that your MAC will Step-Up and Step-Down for both of you. As other people visit, target getting your MAC comfortable with going to other people (Socializing).

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Great advice from Sailboat. I think I would work on him being able to entertain himself more. You don't want a screaming macaw that won't stop till he gets your attention. Does he have toys hanging from his playstand? Ours spends hours playing on his with his toys.
Macaws definitely love their cuddle time. .

Last edited:
OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17198-blue1m.gif

He just has one toy made of wood blocks on jute. Hubs made it for him - but the blocks are poplar which doesn't seem to splinter well enough. He's going to make one with pine which should be better. Also Gus hangs out on the top of the cage - it's one of those with the curved top held open by a perch - and he doesn't go down to the cage. I think it's because his feet hurt. But Monday he will get a new cage, macaw size with wider bars, and we can stuff it full of perches and hang toys in various places. I think he would like to chew something - he does a great job with paper so I've been stuffing that around the bars. And maybe when he's been here more than a week he'll be more comfortable exploring? We will make sure he has toys he destroys and doesn't get bored, then I'll keep sucking up all the afternoon parrot love I can get!

Last edited:

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Tesla loves toys that have bells. Also toys that are long and dangle down. He hangs from them and swings. For some reason he likes plastic type toys more than wood. I don't know if that's typical for macaws or not.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I would add (to all the great advice above) that the level of interaction you have now should match the level of interaction you will have in future. I spent most of the day with the Rbird when I was in college, and when I went to work, it was TERRIBLY HARD on both of us.
Good luck!

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
That's a good reminder. I've been thinking of the eight years he spent not being touched, in that cage, and just want to saturate him with attention and scratches. We both are home all day to pay attention to him frequently, and don't foresee that changing. As he gets settled in, and we get his cage/toy environment dialed in, things will evolve, and hopefully nothing will be so drastic as to remind him of the last time he went from beloved pet to a thing in a cage. Thanks for the advice, all of the advice above is good.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I don't remember Gus' age, but since he is over 6 years old, he is sexually mature. There are places you should not pet too much, as this may stimulate him in the wrong way.

You should avoid his vent area in general. You should also minimize the petting on his bottom half of his body. Not that you should never stroke him from the top of the head and down, just don't overdo the petting there.

They usually like to be petted on the soft spot under their wings, but there's a fine line between the upper part of the "under wing" area and the lower part of the "under wing" area.

He might not start to get territorial until spring, but I have had good results with having 2 cages and letting him change cages for sleeping.

As for toys, Sugar just LOVES anything with a rattling ball inside. I have several different toys like that and he absolutely adores them. However he once in a while may start to defend the toy and treat it as his baby (feed it). You will then have to change the toy to avoid problems.

Other than the above mentioned areas, I believe you can never give your macaw enough love. They in the wild will cuddle and preen their mate for hours every day :) That is why they are such cuddly and loving pets :)

Yorkiemum

Sep 30, 2016
So Cali
Parrots
Male Eclectus , 7 mo old.
Nicholas .
Recently lost Pepper a 9 year old sparrow .
Then our multiple Jay's and sparrows outside,as well as 5 crows who come daily for goodies.
Poppy, 17 y/o yorkie.
I haven't read all of these, but I was thinking of dogs that spend time is crates or put outside because they are too active. Well, of course they are, they are the ones who often don't get to just be a house hound. Once they do come in the house,they won't settle down.

Your rescue has a lot of catching up to do. It must be wonderful for him to be cuddled and pet,and he doesn't want it to stop.
I think once he realizes life is good now and he has no worries, he'll relax and begin to play and do other things .

Breaks my heart, but I read an article that said birds suffer loneliness due to many reasons,but one is that they are often passed about to a new home every few years.
People will often see a photo or a utube and see only the cuteness . But the mess and the responsibility are a big part. When they have to face those things the novelty wears off.
Birds live so long,and as an owner we need to realize we both may have to adapt to different situations. Sadly, too many people give them up because they just don't want to adapt or work through a situation. Not all are workable, but it's important to try.
I can't imagine being taken out of the only home you've known because things changed .

We helped a woman keep her macaw when she felt she must give it up. She did have to go back to work full time. But the choice was rehome or work something out.
The answer was to get a larger cage, put baby near the window, more toys,etc. Yes, she spent more time in cage. But as soon as the owner came home, baby came out of the cage and on her perch while mom made something to eat for both. Baby shared dinner and they both sat down to watch the tube and cuddle. Baby went to sleep when she chose .
Weekends were spent doing more together or baby out on her stand while mom did some work.
In reality this bird had almost as much time out of the cage as before. It was planned time and the bird got used to the schedule and knew that as soon that the door opened, she was with mom for the evening. She was also taken in the car and to the grocery store or other places now.
I don't believe the bird had a bad life. She was with this woman since she was a baby.
This was a good 15 years ago and the woman is semi retired and baby is just fine.

It is sad tho. Any way you look at it there are too many baby animals and not enough homes. Not enough people who see animals as more than a toy.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Some really excellent advice above. I especially agree with the suggestions about teaching him to self-entertain, not spending more time than you'll be able to maintain regularly, keeping him socialized, and being careful to avoid touching his more sensitive areas such as the vent area, the underwing area or the mid and lower back.

Sounds to me like you and Gus are off to a great start.

Most Reactions

Latest posts