Can Amazon's get depressed?

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
Twice today Boozie tried to fly, of course, she failed both times because the butcher made her wings useless until she molts. SHe was listless after each failure. Is it possible she's depressed because she can't fly?

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Yes they can and do. Buddy my GCA went through some lows when he came to live with us. His previous owners had passed. We've had him for over 3 years and if I'm gone for a long time he gets down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depressed, frustrated, down - as noted above, yes they do.

In this specific case, it is just as likely that you're Mealy may have been tired by the failed flight(s). The effort placed in a flight with an extensive lost of flight feathers demand twice the number of flaps per minute as true flight. Their mind is reacting to the loss of height by driving the flight structures to work even harder.

This 'practice' of clipping Parrot Wing feathers to assure 'NO' flight capacity is not boarder line abuse, it is out right, ABUSE! This is 'not' a statement against triming to develop a safe flight to the floor. It is a statement against turning a Parrot into a dropped rock!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yes.

Fledging properly (or not) affects their confidence. Which can lead to depression. Once her wings grow back, and she learns to fly properly, this will go away.

Parrots are very emotional creatures, and amazons have been known to "wear their heart on their sleeve" so to speak.

They run the full range of emotions...

Happy, sad, jealous, angry, loving, goofy, up, down, sideways... SOMETIMES ALL OF THE ABOVE WITHIN A FEW DAYS OR HOURS...

EXTRA ATTENTION, PRAISE, AND REASSURANCE, AND MAYBE AN INTERESTING TOY, AND A FAVORITE TREAT TO DISTRACT THEM GOES A LONG WAY WHEN THEY'RE DOWN...

Wings grow back. Then all this will be forgotten.

I'm going through the same thing with my greenwing right now. Her breeder butchered her wings... She wants to fly, but she flops and faceplants.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
This isn't about not being able to fly...but...a couple years back,when my TAG Smokey passed away...Amy got very depressed. She knew smokey all her life. She didn't want to come out of her house,didn't make a sound,and sat on her nite-nite perch most of the day.

Jim

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep!

When Tusk was missing, Lila kept her face pressed to the glass looking out the window. Waiting for him to come home...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Stop, you guys are gonna make me cry. Like an Amazon, I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Most Reactions