Can anyone recommend a Yellow Collared Macaw Breeder?

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Hi Everyone,

I'm still in decision mode as far as what type of bird to add to our family. I've been considering the Hahns Macaw, Yellow Collared Macaw, BTM and RFM.

If I'm being realistic, I think the BTM and RFM are just too big (sometimes being realistic is no fun). And, while I really love the Hahns, I would like something a little larger.

So, I'd like to speak to a breeder about a YCM. Unfortunately, I am having a very difficult time finding a breeder. I've seen YCMs for sale at large retail stores in Florida (via their websites), but I would prefer to get a bird from a smaller breeder.

Does anyone have a breeder they could recommend?

Thanks so much!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
No help here but some commiseration. Im looking myself, and I'm tortured by choices in this size range as well. Particularly illigers, red fronts (from what I've read and based on short pms with someone on this forum, they are probably the best macaws and worth making the space for), and Eclectus. Some days I'm not even sure I want much more imposing than a large conure. I also can't really decide if I want more of a dependent energetic dog personality type or independent mellow feline personality type.

The struggle is real folks! Good luck in you search

Last edited:
OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Thank you, chris-md for the commiseration! Everything you wrote expressed EXACTLY what I am feeling.

Sometimes the decision seems so impossible that the only good decision to make is NOT to get a bird at all!

All the best to you in your search, as well.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Honestly, RFMs and BTMs are the easiest of the macaws to work with.

YCM's are great birds, and one of the best mini macs out there. The problem is FINDING ONE... There weren't that many imported and there aren't many people breeding these little guys.

Yellow Collar Macaws For Sale

These guys have them, but I don't know what kind of a breeding operation this is. They do sell unweaned chicks, so I can tell you my opinion of them is already biased NOT in their favor...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUXeE6da9E4"]Alex, Yellow Collared Macaw click, speak, tap - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1fGja6PXBk"]Corkie TheTalking Miniature Yellow Collared Macaw: "Ring The Damn Bell!" ©Karla K. Larsson - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJx2JItGDdQ"]Yellow collared macaw as workout partner - YouTube[/ame]

Three different birds, same interactive, playful little clowns... IT'S THE GOOFBALL FACTOR I love most about macaws.

Last edited:
OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Thanks, Birdman!

Yeah, saw these guys when I Googled and wasn't too sure about them either. They seem to breed A LOT of birds which makes me wonder if they aren't more of a "factory". My preference would be to get my bird from a very small breeder that has the time spend with the bird one-on-one so that its individual needs are recognized and met (i.e it is weaned on its own schedule, it is allowed to fledge). Makes me a little nervous.

So, I guess I'm looking for a breeder exactly like Wendy's Parrots that has YCMs! Probably doesn't exist!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's the problem. These little guys can be hard to come by.

I personally don't know anyone breeding them. I do know someone that's had one as a velcro/go everywhere bird for more than ten years. They're very good "pet quality" macaws. You just don't see them much...

And yeah, that's the impression I got as well. Bird mill or broker. I don't know them though, so I'm speaking out of turn. But I HATE the practice of selling unweaned birds with a passion! So, that, in and of itself, would be enough to make me wary...

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I was looking for a breeder a couple of months ago and didn't find anyone that had eggs or chicks. A few "check back later"s...I ended up finding a young Illiger's at a rescue, so I stopped by search. Good luck. There is a facebook group of YCM owners, you could try to get a potential breeder from them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
In the meantime, Wendy has three red front babies available now...

Red-Front

Red fronts are not HUGE birds. They're actually a very nice size...

Again, my perception has been somewhat thrown off by Hys and GW Macs...

Last edited:
OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Good idea, Weezerj! I will see if the Facebook group can help me out.

It's great that you were able to find your Loki at a rescue! We used to have a rescue here in my town, but it had to close its doors, unfortunately.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Thanks again, Birdman!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm sure a good, ethical breeder for YCM "exists". You can really get most any species here in the US, and there are more breeders out there than we might realize.

BUT the problem is... Many of the "good" breeders do not advertise as far and wide as a "bad" operations who concentrate on quantity over quality, and brokers who commonly work with a network of unscrupulous types.

Many "good" breeders are small home operations and might not even have a website unfortunately, and aren't nearly as well known as Wendy of Wendy's Parrots. If this is the species you want, I'd keep scouring the internet for websites with breeder directories.

I can also ask Omar's Exotic Birds out here for you. He is a quality breeder, and either breeds his own birds for the stores, OR works with only quality, trusted breeders. In his stores I've seen YCM before, and in fact I see rare or uncommon species of all kinds on a fairly regular basis at his stores.

OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

If you wouldn't mind asking Omar's Exotic Birds, RavensGryf, I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks for offering - very nice of you!

OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Well, gave Helen at Helen's Little Critters a call... she doesn't breed birds anymore. The page was from 2007! I hope my call prompts her to take that page down.

Thanks for taking time to do some searching for me, Birdman!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, gave Helen at Helen's Little Critters a call... she doesn't breed birds anymore. The page was from 2007! I hope my call prompts her to take that page down.

Thanks for taking time to do some searching for me, Birdman!

2007?! That's a long time to be taking egg deposits...

"Dang! How much longer before this thing hatches... "

"Just shut up and keep sitting on it!":D

Yeah, they kinda should take that page down... or at least update it a little!

y'think?!

OP
GreatBlue320

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Thank you so much, RavensGryf!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Apparently there is a big bird store near you called Featherlust Farms. They might know breeders in the area if you call them.

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Not sure if your interested, but one popped up on CL in AC nj. Says it's 4yr old

Most Reactions