Can I get an African Grey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P

Parrotlover101

Jun 23, 2011
TO: WIBITYWAB Are you jealous? I know what I'm doing. I know what to expect and what to do. I know your my age and you also want one but I was going to get it in a year maybe after I move into another house.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Would an amazon or a goffin cockatoo be better?

No, amazons are not good 1st bird owner birds. I'm sure from your research that they are 1 of the most re-homed parrot (the other being cockatoo). They are rehomed because if they are not handled properly, they can develop bad habits, biting, screaming. They have the ability to bite off little fingers,:11: my zon doesn't like children at all. I know its hard to be 13 & to want what you shouldn't have, but for your future birds sake, get a bird you can handle & work your way up. Thats how experienced bird people get experienced. Those who bite off more than they can chew usually end up now having birds that have to be rehomed.:(

OP
P

Parrotlover101

Jun 23, 2011
TO: WUVZBIRDIES: I really don't want a budgie... their very mean if you buy them from the petstore and we have no breeders around here. The same with the cockatiels.
Amazons aren't as big as the greys and I think they would be better.

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
I babysit my sister often and feed her, play with her, and take care of her. I'm like her second mother. So in a way I already have a toddler.

Right but what are the chances of your baby sister biting off your pinkie finger because you make a mistake in handling her? Also, your baby sister is ultimately your parents' responsibility. A bird would be YOUR responsibility.

I'm 30 years old and I tried to start off with a bird that was waaaay more than I could handle. I had to find him a new home less than 2 months after I got him. I think I had him for a total of 6 weeks and it broke my heart to let him go but I knew I was in over my head.

I didn't want a conure either. I thought I was ready and I wasn't even close. So now I've got my little conure and let me tell ya, I wouldn't trade her for the world. She's my little doll-face. Listen to the advice of the amazing people on this forum. Start off with a smaller bird and work your way up to the bigger commitments.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
sigh** Everyone is Trying to give you the advice you are asking for. A budgie can be tamed and wont take your finger off if you mess up. A bigger bird WILL. If you get a bigger bird, Chances are you wont know what your doing and it will end up acting like a Larger Virsion of a Budgie!

I am 31... Thats thirty one, Ive been looking and researching birds from about your age, I fell in love with my first African Grey when I was 12. I learned Later that anything bigger then a Cockatiel is a huge undertaking. that includes the smaller birds too, TRY a LOVEbird!

you will see just what your getting yourself into when you get a tiny bird that has a big voice and a huge attitude. I still have scars from that bird and she OUTLIVED 2 owners. it was in her third home she finally died after 15 years, and she was kept in the family. her first owner was a uncle who passed her on to his sister, who passed her onto my aunt.

she was tiny, but Let me tell you, she made sure you knew she was boss. if you get a Bigger bird, one that can Accually TAKE off a finger, THEN What? "oh, He bit me! hes mean, I cant handle him, we have to rehome him!"

We are trying to give you Ideas, but you keep shooting them down. if you dont want our advice, why are you asking?

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
TO: WUVZBIRDIES: I really don't want a budgie... their very mean if you buy them from the petstore and we have no breeders around here. The same with the cockatiels.
Amazons aren't as big as the greys and I think they would be better.

No not at all. The smaller amazons are the same size. Most zons are bigger. Much bigger. In my sig. My zon is 2 times he size. Amazons have the hardest bite in the parrot kindom. They will bite a 13 yo persons finger off very easily.
I represent the species and highly recommend you DO NOT get an amazon. That bird will run you. And I mean RUN CONTROL!!
An amazon is a 18 and up only bird. Same with cockatoos. Honestly I'd say Greys but it seems to be very much young responsible owners under 18.
Take the advise given to you. Star small and gain experince. Another word out on amazon. If you were considering a grey and cockatoo. Your not the amazon type. To be honest the amazon caretenders can agree that they fit one personality in people.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
If you don't want a small bird, then I would suggest a Pionus. They are lower maintenance, docile, quiet, loving, beautiful and when you get a "serious" boyfriend/girlfriend (sorry i don't know your gender), they are less likely to give you hell for it!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Sigh... This is a go nowhere topic. Its obvious that this person doesn't care to hear what everyone is saying, so all we can do is hope the parents will be responsible when it comes to what parrot they end up with. Hopefully something small.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am closing this thread. The member has been given suggestions by several members and does not seem to listen. That is youth for you!! There is no point in continuation of this thread. Thanks everyone for your wise responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts