Can I just say....

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
This community here is amazing. Everyone is always so friendly and ready to offer advice to everyone. It's such an amazing learning place and to talk with others who enjoy their love of birds as much as we do :D

I just had a nasty experience with another group. I asked a behavior question... Like the one I asked here earlier... And holy cow was I attacked.

'You're bird isn't as healthy as you think.'
'You're basically killing your bird' (basically what was said)

I asked a simple question about why she was doing what she was doing and how to try to fix it and it turned into a few others attacking my birds diet (I'm aware seeds are bad and pellets aren't so great, but if you have a bird that is picky about what fresh things she eats it's hard). They basically were all but saying I'm killing my bird... A bird who's diet is about 50+% fresh fruit and veg because she feels she has to have her pellets and seed. She snuffs at chop but I make sure she gets fresh every day, even if I have to hide things in puree form or use organic baby food.

It got bad to the point an admin turned off comments.

Does she eat seed and pellets? Yes.
Can seeds be bad? Absolutely.

But we monitor her blood work yearly and I make sure she's getting fresh good stuff everyday too. Her blood work is on point. Her feathers and papillea are perfect. Weight is right for her size so she's not fatty. Her poo is normal.... And yet I'm a horrible bird mom.

Like really? Not all birds will eat 100% chop if they aren't used to it. My birds all see a vet every year and get exams, blood work, gram stains, swabs, and the works done. They get fresh water every day (changed in the morning and the evening), their dishes are cleaned and scrubbed every day, they get their toys rotated every 2 weeks, enrichment, lots of attention, cages and perches cleaned weekly and spot cleaned as needed daily, one on one time, a warm and clean place to sleep, a home environment that is safe.....

But instead of looking at that, they only focus on the fact she is given some seed and pellets in her diet....

Wtf?!

I'm all for taking constructive criticism and learning new things, I WANT to be better for my birds.... But attacking someone who's asking for advice over something completely different, when you don't know all the facts, is ridiculous.

That's why I love this community here. We are here to better one another. Educate one another. Not tear one another apart.

I love you guys :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There is little worse than a bully behind a keyboard. We try really hard to prevent the worst instincts from flowing from head to keyboard, but in the final analysis you are all an amazing group of parronts!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Funny, I am fairly sure I just joined that group this morning! They make it very clear advocating seed is not tolerated! My JoJo has seed every day! I wonder how long I will last?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Prior to my joining this group, I visited many different Forums and sites! I choose to lurk here because of the strength of the Moderators and the tone they set for this Forum!

There has been some fairly hurtful Threads and others that have gotten out-of-hand, during just my time here. That can happen when passionate individuals, interact around passionate subjects, and all tied to a single passion, their Parrots!

The discussion of diet is one of the most heated subjects in the Avian World! The foundation is based on a want to provide a sound, healthy diet that will assure the well-being of the Parrot(s). Too Clip or not to Clip Wing Feathers is yet another like subject!

So, why do these heated and yes, sometimes hurtful discussion occur?

- First, there is the reality of the mix of individuals with different experiences, both good and bad, long time and just new to all of this.
- Next, and one of the most difficult to tie down: The 'Changing Understand' of this complex subject: Our Parrots! The medical science that supports our Parrots is and will continue to grow in its understanding of what is healthy!
- The core structure of the Forum! Is it locked into specific beliefs -or- is it centered around understanding and accepting the continued growth of knowledge and blending it into the Group's understand of their importance to the health of our wonderful Parrots?

** Love is sometimes blind and when combined with passion it can become harsh! Hence, it is important for each of us to see it when it happens, to comment on it, and contact a SM.

Very sorry that you had experienced the harder side of another Forum! Please understand that it can happen here also! The difference, is the examples that our SM provide and as a group, our underlining care for each other.

Many of us here, including myself have become involved to one level or another in such occurrences and with the guidance from other Members and our SM have been able to wind the emotions down to a comfortable discussion.

A Great Forum is one that each Member watches out for every other!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry that happened to you, I have seen it so much on FB groups, far too many keyboard experts. That is why I so love this place, the members here are the best anywhere!
I would like to thank everyone who helps us with the forum by reporting posts, or sending us a PM to bring our attention to something. It truly takes a village, and we have the most wonderful village out there.

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
You're a part of the community too so rest assured you help make it this great!

I'm pretty sure that you could find a forum for every species of animal kept as a pet, and you'll find just as heated discussions about diet, behaviour etc.

Everyone's birds are a little different and half the trouble is figuring out how much is in the spectrum of "Normal" and what isn't. Usually the goalposts keep moving...

For instance, my girl turns out to detest getting showers. I'd really like her to bathe at least every other day but the only time she'll tolerate water on her is misting her with the hose outside. So, We concede with a deep soaking once a week. Should I be bathing her more often? certainly! Does she have healthy plumage? Yes she does. Will she bathe more in the future? Who knows.

Glad you appreciate the community - I certainly do too. So much invaluable information and I think if I needed help everyone would jump to do so (if not for me, for Remi!)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There are going to be good and bad apples in every group. Sometimes, people feel attacked when the advice given was not an attack at all. It's much harder to give tone in typed up words that could easily be confused when read by someone else.

I may or may not know what group you are referring to. I do recall seeing a recent post about someone not having money to take their bird to the vet and one person automatically jumped the gun and said they shouldn't have birds if they can't afford the vet care. My only thoughts are - sometimes, the homeless take better care of their animals than people who actually have money. And what if the person has hit a hard time? Lost their job? Was in an accident that disabled them? We don't know their situations, so it's hard to judge. Having been there myself when funds were limited was no fun at all... and all the places that help fund vet care??? They wont support birds... just dogs and cats.

At least one thing is for sure... even if everyone doesn't agree, they all passionately care!!! Just some have better ways at expressing it than others!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I would like to wholeheartedly agree with you about the feel of this forum. I haven’t spent much time on other parrot forums, because when I found this one I knew I was home. I have been on forums for other hobbies, however, and the folks here are kinder and more helpful in general. In my 9 months, I’ve seen the same questions asked - and answered - many times. In other forums, the basic questions were always met with “use the search feature.”

This forum and its people might be one of the best gifts Bumble has put in my life. [emoji170]

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Overall this is the best form I have ever signed up with.
Only time I have had trouble is with wing clipping and breeding.

I don't clip my fid's wings but at one point was thinking about it for Bingo.
He does not know how to fly but I wanted to be able to take him out with me with out worrying he would fly off.

The other thing was wanting to have cockatiel babies.
I got a lot of flak over that issue but I did get good info to.

It doesn't come close to the "flaming " that goes on in the automotive form I belong to.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
A great thread. I appreciate the advice given here, the good the bad and the ugly. No one has ever given me advice with a virtual frown on their face. Always positive, also ways good and for the benefit of our beloved Nigel.

Yes, Nigel, I’m coming now with your pumice stone for your claws and warm cloth to clean your beak...

I am but Nigel’s humble secant anyway!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
This forum has become a part of our daily lives, it's rare we don't check in at least once a day, often more (sorry boss). You all have a happy and healthy holiday and New Year!

From Al, Geri, Brett, Erik, Salty and Tinker.

Most Reactions