Can i keep a conure?

MattDlr

Jul 30, 2017
Hi i have been researching Green Cheek Conures for the past month or two. I would like to know if it is good for the bird if it is alone for about 8 hours a day. I go to school from 8am-4pm and i would like to know if the bird could be left alone (in the cage) during that time until i get home at 4 where i could be with it for the rest of the day?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I think that would be fine if you make sure to spend several hours with your conure each day. They're so cute you're going to run home each day to play with conure.

OP
M

MattDlr

Jul 30, 2017
Yeah i would be able to be with it for about an hour in the mornings and 5 hours after school

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
When I leave mine - I leave either the radio on or the TV depending where I put his cage that day. I try to move him to vary the view and stimulation but have discovered that he loves bagpipe music (?) and 60's pop!

He likes CBBs baby channel among others and sings away with it at the top of his voice. I don't leave him every day but when I do he does give me some stick when I get home for a while, but I am soon forgiven especially when he gets the odd treat!

I should also add that I redesign his cage every couple of days to keep him interested, taking toys out and replacing but always trying to find a new place or combination for ladders and perches. He sleeps in another cage in a quiet room and it is then that I clean and prep his cage for the next day. He tends to look at it in the morning with his head on one side working out his way around it.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
no problems with that. I work 8-5 and my conure was okay with that. He didn't seem to care for it, I'd often leave the window open a crack and he would argue with the crows and ringnecks in the area and play with his toys. I just made sure he was out every day, got some play time with me and attention whenever I wasn't at work. He seemed to fit in very well with my life

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
If you make his cage an interesting and entertaining space, love T00tsyd post btw, that will definitely help. No one wants to sit bored to tears all day do they? There are plenty of threads on how to make toys on here to help.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with everyone, 3 to 4 times a week I have to leave my conure for twelve hours, but fortunately it's when he's normally sleeping. When I sleep he's generally very good and doesn't make noise. And yes toys!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
My Skittles is 'free-flighted', so he's not used to being caged- but I've kept him in his day cage for as long as five hours and he seems to do fine. I actually have a harder time being away from him than he does. lol.

I think the fact that he'll have an hour in the morning and five at night is just fine. The only suggestion I would make is to ensure your conure has enough toys they like to keep them occupied. I'd also leave the radio or tv going.

I don't foresee any problem with the schedule you plan on keeping.

PS, like others have said- pictures are a must here. Otherwise, you'll get bombarded with demands over and over so best to just surrender to our demands now and provide the pictures. (I'm being sarcastic, btw)- lol.

Last edited:

FlockFive

Jul 17, 2017
Parrots
Happy the green cheek, yellow sided conure. Bella the african grey congo. Lemon the meyers parrot.
Hi! It is not ideal but for a green cheek conure it can be done. Make sure you get it a nice sized cage so you can fill it with various foraging and wooden chewing toys as well as toys with bells as GCCs LOVE making noise. Also be sure to install a camera so you can monitor the bird while you are away. GCCs are vulnerable birds and even in their own cages can get into all sorts of trouble. Once you get home, you need to make sure you spend at least 4h with it outside of the cage everyday. Hope this helps!

OP
M

MattDlr

Jul 30, 2017
Thanks guys, I have another question is a 31x20x53 flight cage with 4 or 5 toys in the cage with radio or music on while im gone ok?

Last edited:

Most Reactions