Can I keep a GCC and Tiel in the same cage?

IloveConures

Apr 26, 2013
Media
WV
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Mango, Cockatiel- Tango
I currently have a GCC but am getting a tiel from a friend. If they bond well is there any way I can keep them in the same cage? The GCC is 2 and the tiel is 3.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If you don't care about the health of the 'tiel.....conures are famous for removing toes & even entire feet.....the only time you want to let different species cage together is if they form their own bond & take up housekeeping in one or the other's cage and that would be their choice, after they have known each other.....not your choice for convenience.....

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Definitely no

Other than them being different species, cockatiels are powder down parrots while conures are oil parrots. Powder down parrots make a massive amount of dust that could make the conure very sick.

OP
I

IloveConures

Apr 26, 2013
Media
WV
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Mango, Cockatiel- Tango
Ok after seeing those pictures it is a definite no. Thanks for giving this advice because you saved me an injury and a nice bird

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
The other part of that is that they can form immediate, lasting bonds of friendship, spend their days with the tiel neatly tucked under the wing of the Conure ...

Until one day, some unforeseen disturbance agitates the conure, or the tiel, the point that they have a spat and the conure takes the tiel's foot off and sit there scratching your head and saying "I never saw that coming!"

Better safe than sorry.

Most Reactions