Can we Talk about Shoebills?

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I really wanted to just post this..because these birds are beautiful. They are almost human like..the most Angelic Birds ever..Nature is just amazing. Their like the protector of all birds
c3972c79ed4441b68d28da522b9ae828.jpg
Shoebill-by-Hjalmar-Gislason.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I really wanted to just post this..because these birds are beautiful. They are almost human like..the most Angelic Birds ever..Nature is just amazing. Their like the protector of all birdsView attachment 55325View attachment 55324
We most certainly CAN talk about shoebills!! Amazing and magnificent birds, one of my very favourites!! Have you seen this video from a zoo in Japan? How beautiful is the way this bird, named Futaba, and her keeper bow and shake their heads at each other? She's just so beautiful!!😍

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It appears that to learn her behaviors will take time as there are just so few clues! Plus her slow and steady movements could quickly allow the prey to become careless. With fish as a diet, it is easy to see their methods.

Cleary a Big' Bird and if one that making a mistake around could be painful!

But truly Beautiful!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have a slight obsession with them.
Yeah, me too! Apparently the head-shaking thing is a natural behaviour in the wild, and Futaba's Japanese keeper uses it in his communications with her. And i think that's just wonderful 💖

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We most certainly CAN talk about shoebills!! Amazing and magnificent birds, one of my very favourites!! Have you seen this video from a zoo in Japan? How beautiful is the way this bird, named Futaba, and her keeper bow and shake their heads at each other? She's just so beautiful!!😍

I had never heard of Shoebills before so I watched the video. They are very strange looking birds! I wouldn't exactly call them "angelic" looking- they look pretty scary so I wouldn't want to run into one in a dark alley! That shoe-shaped bill looks like it could do some serious damage! The captive one in the Japanese video has a nice relationship with his keeper who obviously takes great care of him, weighing him and hand feeding him those yummy looking whole fish. The mutual bowing behavior is very sweet. However, I do wonder what the bird does all day to pass the time. He gets fed fish in the morning but he appeared to live alone in his very limited enclosure. It seems all he has to do is stand around and stare at the tourists gawking at him all day. Not much of a life for such a magnificent, if not angelic, creature.

Most Reactions

Latest posts