Cape Parrot vs. African Grey vs. RB2

rrspamrr

Mar 10, 2015
Hello there!

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now and I've finally managed to narrow down my list to three specific birds I'd wanna try out: the cape parrot, the timneh african grey, or a rose breasted (gallah) cockatoo.

However, I'm having trouble choosing the right one, and I'd love to hear some first-hand feedback from people who own one or preferably all of the above species...

As for what I'm looking for in a bird, I certainly want a very smart little guy and all three species seem to fit well in this respect. However, perhaps more than that, I'd like a bird that isn't afraid to try to new things, loves to cuddle, and is generally playful and gregarious. While I do understand that such characteristics are very personal to each individual bird, I'd like to know your general experiences with each type and the level of responsibility/work involved with each.

Additionally, for those of you who own a gallah 2 specifically, is it anything similar to the larger cockatoo breeds? I've read from multiple sources that their bite isn't as bad and they are much less of a challenge (In terms of neediness, plucking, etc.) than conventional toos. So is this true? Are they in fact easier (and more rewarding) to take care of?

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to hear you are doing your research before jumping into a bird. It sounds as though you might want to volunteer at an avian shelter to get some first hand experience with parrots, which might help you in your decision as well as talking to owners of those specific species and research.

They are pretty rare, but I've seen videos of cape parrots and they have a very, er, "formidable" scream:). I am normally 'deaf' to parrot noise, but the first time I heard Truman (which I am assuming is where you heard of cape parrots from) I took note lol! Have you heard them? I mean, obviously ALL parrots make noise (and LOTS of it!) but the pitch those birds make their vocalizations in is really something else! Even my amazon (who can be heard down the block when he gets going) runs off lol.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUV99MX4no"]Cape Parrot Screaming - YouTube[/ame]

Anyways, hope you keep researching and that some of our TAG and galah owners chime in:)

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
I think the cape parrot is quite a controversial animal to own. Check this out, it is so sad.

[ame="http://youtu.be/RCpzuxIQtPA"]Rescuing the Endangered Cape Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'd love to have a brown necked or grey necked parrot (there aren't any actual capes for the pet trade.) However, it would never be cuddly in the way a too is, same applies to the grey. Pois are capable of being loud, but they are known for being quieter.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I think the cape parrot is quite a controversial animal to own. Check this out, it is so sad.

Rescuing the Endangered Cape Parrot - YouTube

I never knew that they were the most endangered parrot in Africa! I know that the US bans importation of any wild caught parrots, so I would imagine the ones available here are all captive bred. That was a very sad, yet informative video:( Thanks for posting the link.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
There's the confusion over species common names... The true "Cape" parrot is not available for the pet trade at all. Not even sure they're outside of Africa.

The ones we have here are 2 closely related species, but not even considered subspecies of the Cape anymore. They're called the Gray Headed parrot, and the Brown Necked parrot (not to be further confused with another Poicephalus called the Brown Headed parrot):52:!
These species used to be called "Uncape" parrots in the pet trade to set them apart from the one which is really called the Cape parrot (Poicephalus robustus). Does all that confusion clarify anything at all? LOL!
I love the Brown Necked. So beautiful in person where you can see the subtle coloring.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just finished watching the video. How sad, PBFD killing the wild parrots. So the virus does clear itself sometimes I guess. Wonderful they are taking steps to save this beautiful parrot.

As I was watching the video, I looked over my shoulder for a moment, and noticed that another rare South African species had stopped playing, and focused his attention to my iPad screen. Griffin my Ruppell's parrot was watching very closely! He found it intersting too to see his ancestors homeland :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
As I was watching the video, I looked over my shoulder for a moment, and noticed that another rare South African species had stopped playing, and focused his attention to my iPad screen. Griffin my Ruppell's parrot was watching very closely! He found it intersting too to see his ancestors homeland :)

So do Griffin or Robin make a similar noise to Truman the "not-an-actual-cape" parrot;)? Is that just his species or all Poi's? I find it interesting that Griffin in some way "recognized" his relatives. Kiwi does not recognize the call of his people (or even other live individuals!).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

So do Griffin or Robin make a similar noise to Truman the "not-an-actual-cape" parrot;)? Is that just his species or all Poi's? I find it interesting that Griffin in some way "recognized" his relatives. Kiwi does not recognize the call of his people (or even other live individuals!).

Lol, Kiwi doesn't recognize the call of his people :D! After the video ended, Griffin went right on back to playing :). Poicephalus have many different natural sounds. The sound Truman is making is similar to a noise that Robin and Griffin can make. Poi's usually do some sort of chirps, whistles, and peeps. I'd say it's recognizable that Truman is speaking "Poi" but yet a little different. I've heard mine obviously (Red Bellied and Ruppell's), and I've heard Meyer's and Senegals. They all make similar sounds and have similar voices, I'd imagine like the different Amazon species might be similar but yet different. ;)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
This is as close as I could find for a true cape parrot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 536

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Lol, Kiwi doesn't recognize the call of his people :D! After the video ended, Griffin went right on back to playing :). Poicephalus have many different natural sounds. The sound Truman is making is similar to a noise that Robin and Griffin can make. Poi's usually do some sort of chirps, whistles, and peeps. I'd say it's recognizable that Truman is speaking "Poi" but yet a little different. I've heard mine obviously (Red Bellied and Ruppell's), and I've heard Meyer's and Senegals. They all make similar sounds and have similar voices, I'd imagine like the different Amazon species might be similar but yet different. ;)

Interesting. I have not really seen (or heard) many POI's. I think the only ones I've ever actually seen in real life are senegals and I do not recall them making that high pitched noise. As for poor, species-confused Kiwi, if I couldn't see him and had to go strictly off noises he made, I would guess he was a large Canadian goose:34:. He calls back to them too when they fly over, but he has 0 interest in other amazons (on the computer or in real life):31:

But back to the topic of "cape" parrots with you being the resident POI expert:), if the real ones are not in the pet trade, do breeders sell other species as cape parrots in a deliberate deceptive manner or is it just one of those "generalized" terms everyone uses but is technically not accurate? And if Truman is not a cape parrot then what is he?

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Interesting. I have not really seen (or heard) many POI's. I think the only ones I've ever actually seen in real life are senegals and I do not recall them making that high pitched noise.

if the real ones are not in the pet trade, do breeders sell other species as cape parrots in a deliberate deceptive manner or is it just one of those "generalized" terms everyone uses but is technically not accurate? And if Truman is not a cape parrot then what is he?

The Poi noises aren't always high and ear piercing, but generally speaking, are whistle tones as opposed to squawks. Their voices aren't raspy. One of the most adorable noises from both Robin and Griffin is a soft almost whispered peep from Robin, or babyish whimpers from Griffin. Hard to describe, but oh so adorable! I've never heard any other species make such cute sounds.

They're just calling them "Capes" now since it's easier than confusing Brown Necked with another poi called the Brown Headed, and Uncape just sounds stupid IMO. Probably in many people's opinion since I don't hear that term anymore lol.
Truman looks like a Brown Necked from pics. He has that brownish burgundy edging around his neck. That is the one you usually will see as pets, probably more popular because of the color. That's the one I see for sale at the stores, and most people who have them that I see in pics have the BN. The Gray Headed is more plain color in the head and neck as the name implies, otherwise looks the same.

I've seen owners on here but not active members. One was advertised here to be rehomed a couple months ago? I'd love one too, but we're maxed out for now.

OP
R

rrspamrr

Mar 10, 2015
That's interesting stuff guys! I understand how rare capes are and the shelter nearby said this is the first one they've ever gotten their hands on. However, as some of you guys mentioned, it is not a true caped parrot but rather a brown necked parrot.

However, in all honesty, I am much more inclined to getting a timneh grey or an RB2. That said, could someone describe their experiences with these two breeds?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
No experience with Greys, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE the look of the Timmeh's! The dark feathers and maroon tail... Gorgeous birds, and I love seeing them, though it's not as often as you see a Congo. The RB2's are super soft!

Most Reactions