Car Sick conure!

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)
So I had to take Kiwi on a trip to my parents house. I have a little carrying cage, but try to take her out as often as possible in an effort to keep her calm. During the bus ride, Kiwi was doing fine, but right at the end... *headbob headbob headbob* and then a chunk of something hit my arm. I was stuned. Then again, *headbob headbob headbob* and then she shot it EVERYWHERE all over my face and everything and it smelt like puke and I didn't have enough napkins or anything... and then the same thing later on the next day when I took her for a drive in the car. Poor bird :p will be trying to minimize motor travel from now on...

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Is it carsickness, or is she regurgitating because she is happy/excited?

I would suggest doing a trial run of just sitting in the car with her, and see if the environment is what stimulates her. If nothing happens, then try again on another trip. The sounds/movement may be off-putting and causing her to be carsick, OR she's just regurgitating because she is happy/in love with you.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
So I had to take Kiwi on a trip to my parents house. I have a little carrying cage, but try to take her out as often as possible in an effort to keep her calm. During the bus ride, Kiwi was doing fine, but right at the end... *headbob headbob headbob* and then a chunk of something hit my arm. I was stuned. Then again, *headbob headbob headbob* and then she shot it EVERYWHERE all over my face and everything and it smelt like puke and I didn't have enough napkins or anything... and then the same thing later on the next day when I took her for a drive in the car. Poor bird :p will be trying to minimize motor travel from now on...

Oohhh poor baby! Rio always traveled with me and she got sick one time, I felt so bad! Hope he feels better. I did find for Rio I had to put two perches together like one on top of the other one from each side of the travel cage to reduce the vibration of her perch. I think that helped alot!

OP
F

FA22raptero

Sep 26, 2012
Media
Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island of British Columbi
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (regular variation)

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Here's a link that explains better/more in depth: Birds can become carsick - ParrotChronicles Ask a Vet

Helpful, but the problem is that I don't actually own a vehicle, I just use my parents when i'm home. but that article does help to explain why she gets sick. as Alisana pointed out, it might be possible she just LOVES being in the car? I don't know...

Do you have a friend with a car that wouldn't mind doing short practice drives with? Look at Riio's suggestion as well about the vibration of the perch - it could be a contributing factor.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Kitchen Physician - Ask Mother Nature - Healthcare
Land of Vos - Traveling with Pet Birds
The Kitchen Physician Herbal Remedies for Parrots

Ginger can be a great remedy for motion sickness... feed several hours prior to a trip, make ginger tea and give this as the only source of drinking water for a few hours.

If possible, you might try experimenting as well... i.e. cover the cage up so your bird can't see whats going on around him/her, leave it uncovered, turn on the air/open a window for air movement, leave the windows closed/air off, etc.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Also, add a disheveled towel at the bottom corner of the cage in case Kiwi would be more comfortable in a soft cushiony fluff of terry cloth. It will help reduce vibration and maybe provide some security.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I never realized birds can get motion sickness! To add to the advice you've received, I was wondering if you have any strong car air freshners? I know as a kid that used to trigger my motion sickness. You would want to get rid of any and all common air freshners anyway, so its something to consider. Good luck and hope your bird feels better! :)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
We just adopted another green cheek who threw up in the car on the way home. We totally freaked out until I learned that some birds actually get car sick, too. Our other gcc doesn't seem to have this problem.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Sprite broke his tibiotarsus and had to go to the vet every other week. The vet's office is about 15 minutes from us and he would regurgitate in his carrier on most of the trips but was fine once the car stopped. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it...I think that he just got excited and anxious.
If he really IS getting car sick, you can soak three slices of fresh ginger root in water for 15 minutes to make a "tea" that should help his motion sickness (I guess you could add a tiny drop of honey to make him drink it.)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
FA22, how big is your travel cage & do you cover it? My guys travel 60-100 mile trips every week or two, but they're either in travel cages that are at least 16"x16"x16" and they are strapped in so that they can see all that's going on outside.....often covering a traveling bird will cause them to be sick.....some get stressed because they can't see out & don't know what's going on.....

Meant to ask, you're not a Raptor pilot are you ? ? ?

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
my little guy has never gotten sick travelling, instead he shrieks with joy if we drive really fast or take tight corkscrew on-ramps fast!

Most Reactions

Latest posts