cardboard boxes

chellner

May 7, 2015
Usa
Hi
I am a little bit confussed. Some people say it is alright to give birds a card board boxs to rip up, and other people say that they will eat it, and it is no good for them. Can any one give me the right info please. I have a macaw and a blue fronted amazon. :green:

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
A parrot won't "eat" the box. Even if they ingested a few fibers it should just pass and not get impacted. Raven loves boxes. He has a cardboard toy box, but it needs replacing every now and then. The box itself is a toy too, little pieces all over the floor lol.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My friend has a DYH..Shainna just loves her box! Pokes her head in and out of the hole and yells PEEKABOO :p Then promptly begins to tear it to shreds..Your fids will thank you for one.

Jim

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think clean boxes are fine,,,so long as they don't encourage hormonal issues.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've been giving mine cardboard boxes for 20 years or so, and never lost a single bird to cardboard...

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Mine LOVES cardboard boxes! Be warned, though - it just might fire up the ol' nesting instincts & hormonal issues. My YNA chews his way into the box, and stays in there (rustling around) for hours on end.

One cardboard item he particularly likes (as do ALL our birds) is the greyish-colored drink trays you get from fast-food places. They have a pulpier texture than corrugated cardboard or cereal boxes, and shred beautifully (at least, according to the birds!).. They make a heck of a mess, but they're certainly appreciated!

Most Reactions