carpet steamers how do they work???

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
ok debating weather to get a carpet steamer vs a carpet shampoo-er

i use a carpet shampoo machine at work, but i think it leaves carpet a tad damp, especially in a closed off area with little ventilation, also after a few uses the carpet when damp, after scent of shampoo has worn off tends to smell!

as i live in an old house, damp is always a concern, so was just wondering what would be best to use

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
I've rented the carpet steam cleaners that supermarkets have available, and they do leave the carpet a tad damp.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I dont have any carpet, but when we cleaned the carpets @ the office, it was better to stay off of the carpet until dry. This was steam cleaning, it took a couple of days, & if we did walk on it, it seemed to bring up stains from beneath.

Not a good solution to be had, thats why I dont have any carpeting. Fans around seemed to help w/the drying & we always planned on sunny warm days that seemed to help.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
well plans on replacing room carpet with laminate went outta the window after washing machine came to a banging spin! lol

i don't mind a tad damp, i think what i worry about is chemicals in carpet etc

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
My mom uses a steamer :) A really old one at that lol the thing is like 25 years old and still goin strong... LOL it leaves the carpet a bit damp too, but if you can open a window on a nice day then it won't smell i'd imagine. We've never had a problem with moldy smells from the carpet... maybe from grandpa's chair... but not the carpet haha

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
You do put a cleaning solution in them, so it's "steam" and a cleaning substance, which is chemical-laden no doubt. I suppose you could just use hot water, but it wouldn't be as effective. Or, you could use once with the cleaner and then with water alone. Labor intensive but probably would do a great job.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
thanks i'll bear that in mind, i just assumed you just used steam

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I have a shark handheld steamer that I love for everything. I really want to buy one of the floor steamers they have. It says it can clean not just bathroom/kitchen floors, but has a rug attachment to freshen carpets.

OP
suebee

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
will have to think on, as i think best way around this is to get a laminate flooring down

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I have a shark handheld steamer that I love for everything. I really want to buy one of the floor steamers they have. It says it can clean not just bathroom/kitchen floors, but has a rug attachment to freshen carpets.

My mom has one! We don't have the carpet attachment thing, but it's GREAT for the kitchen floor! We just use water since I stressed to her that Lucy can't be around those kinds of chemicals and it works fantastically with just water :) Lucy tries to eat the spongey mop-ey thingie so it's even better that it's machine washable and mom only uses water :)

Most Reactions