cellulose powder???

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I understand that birds cannot digest this...but it's also in plants etc (so they would ingest some when eating fruit etc- I think..)
I got some "Crispy Chews" (beet and berry) and I looked at the ingredients and they seemed like decent occasional treats.

I gave Noodles 1 this morn and a few bites of one this afternoon before taking it away. I didn't see cellulose powder on the ingredients when I first checked.

They are super tiny and I bet like 30 of them come in a pack (they are smaller than a dime). Do I need to worry that she ate 1.5 (ish)?

I'm not sure if I can safely give these or not..

Cellulose is second to last ingredient

https://www.iherb.com/pr/sprout-org...-berry-beet-5-packets-0-63-oz-18-g-each/77775

^ you can find the nutrition label there.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah I'm not giving that to Salty. Not so much because of the cellulose, but the vitamin fortification. Oh and how is the rice crisped? Air or in some kind oil?

Now, me, I'd like some please!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah I'm not giving that to Salty. Not so much because of the cellulose, but the vitamin fortification. Oh and how is the rice crisped? Air or in some kind oil?

As far as I could tell, there was no fortification (normally the nutrition label will separate things like that). They are tasty though! The rice is air crisped/crunchy (no oils on statement). Also, keep in mind that 4% iron is referring to a toddler's needs (tinier bodies than adults etc)..with serving being roughly 30...I don't think anything has been added nutritionally.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Cellulose powder I think (?) is basically wood fiber. ...might be misremembering, might be corn fiber?... powdered paper?.... anyways I think they'd probably ingest far more of either if they lived in the wild, just going about their daily business of chewing up trees & winowsills & notebooks & etc., than what we normally intentionally include in their diet. So non-nutritive but ought to be non-toxic too. Could probably cause gastric upset in high quantities, or interfere with absorption of nutrients, but otherwise I'd think their bodies ought to be able to handle it just fine (in small quantities).

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

As far as I could tell, there was no fortification (normally the nutrition label will separate things like that). They are tasty though! The rice is air crisped/crunchy (no oils on statement). Also, keep in mind that 4% iron is referring to a toddler's needs (tinier bodies than adults etc)..with serving being roughly 30...I don't think anything has been added nutritionally.
I think when I read label on frozen peas it said 6% iron, natural not added....
When I read nutrition on lots of stuff I get freaked about the amount of iron...

Most Reactions

Latest posts