Challenging time at the vet's today

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well! Today, we took our new dog, Roxanne, and Dominic the Galah to visit our nice Vet. Rox still has some problems with her ears (left over from them being flyblown before the rescue got her) and Dommie needed his nails clipping for our ongoing health and safety. Our appointment was for half-past three, but we were significantly late on account of Rox carried on like a pork chop when Matt tried to put her harness on and then Dommie had an attack of coyness about going into his travel cage which, in another life, was a mouse cage and I've a feeling he's superstitious about that for some peculiar reason.

Rox travelled fairly well, but Dommie spent the whole ten-minute journey with his hat at attention and his bill firmly embedded in my sweater through the bars of his cage.

When we pulled up at the Vet's office and disembarked from iVan, our trusty chariot, the first thing that happened was a flock of SC2s flew overhead and set Dommie off screeching like all the hammers of Hades. People looked at me as if I were torturing the poor bird (which of course I was not)! The next thing that happened was Rox got a fit of 'OMG, I've never been here before and there are other dogs and a cat and a rabbit!!!' Immediately, she stood on her hindlegs and began to yodel at the waiting room in general. The noise was deafening and when a gigantic Rhodesian ridgeback and his Great Dane friend joined in, I beat a hasty retreat outside so Rox could compose herself. That turned out to be not much help, as a lady with a Maltese terrier was just coming up the path. The Maltese nearly wet itself at the sight of Rox' welcoming song and dance and so I felt it wise to retreat back inside. Luckily the Ridgeback and the Dane had gone in for their consultation, so Rox barely contained herself by sitting, poised on the tips of her claws and ready to leap at the first hint of anything New.

That would be the rabbit, which emerged from the consultation room bandaged on its hindleg and hopping morosely along beside its owner (a minute, sparrow-like little woman who clearly had not the strength to pick up and carry the whopping great jugged hare. I mean, rabbit. Rox went into overdrive and it was SO embarrassing! She was doing donuts on the end of her lead and all I could imagine was her slipping out of her harness and enjoying the rabbit for arvo tea!!! I needn't have worried, however, as Kim picked up the rabbit and swiftly bore it out to its car and safety from the now-drooling Roxanne.

Just then, the Vet hove into view and indicated with his chin that he would see Dominic first (there was no conversation possible at that point, since Roxanne's loud and compelling mezzo-soprano filled the tiny waiting room completely). Poor Kim got to hang onto Rox while Matt and I went in with Dommie.

The Vet is really pleased with Dom's tumours. His weight is good (425gm) and he's allowed to have a very little seed in his diet now. Dom will be ecstatic! Of course, when it came time for his trim, Dom just opened his bill and stuck his hat straight up in the air. The Vet got out The Big Glove, a massive great leather gauntlet which I felt was far too large for poor Dommie to cope with, and promptly grabbed him by the neck. Dom made a big fuss and after a bit of rummaging around, I wound up holding him in my bare hands with my fingers resting on his lower jaws. He sat perfectly still and permitted his nails to be trimmed with no fuss whatsoever. When we were finished, he bit the Vet by way of a cheery goodbye and I really couldn't blame him for that.

When Rox came in she was still belting out her operatic aria so the Vet gave her a pig's ear to chomp on. She liked that and so it was very simple, then, to do her checkup and have her inoculations. The Vet reckons she might have ongoing problems with her ears and so I have to clean them every single day in order to prevent infections and allergens getting in. We spent a huge enormous sum of money on medicines and earwash and eventually managed to shovel Rox and Dommie back into iVan for the trip home.

On arriving in the kitchen, Dom immediately flew from the mouse cage to his fridge, raised his hat and gave a territorial sort of bellow as if to announce that the King was home. Roxi had a big drink of water and sat down in front of the fan heater to toast her tummy. The humans had a much-needed cuppa and that was the end of our Vet visit. Whew!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I actually SEE your stories, you and your lovely bunch of critters crack me up. Thank you for the great warm laugh I got with my coffee this morning. No better way to start the day imo!!:D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Trish, Thank you for another delightful story. Please tell Roxanne and Dominic to take a bow and accept applause from their extended fan club!

Happy to hear Dominic is allowed some tasty seeds. If it helps at all, I have seen many dogs with chronic ear problems in their first years, grow completely past them when they reach maturity, hopefully that will be the case with Roxanne.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Trish, I LOVE your stories! You are such a great writer! I admit I giggled at Dommie biting the vet as a goodbye.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you once again for making me smile first thing in the morning, Trish:)
Your stories literally transport me there with you, and I could hear Roxanne and see her when she caught sight of the giant rabbit:)
So glad that Dommie is doing well, and hopefully Roxanne outgrows the ear problems:)

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Just an addition: this morning, I set out to give Rox her tablet. I did what you do: placed it far back in her mouth, massaged her throat etc etc etc. As soon as I let her go, she looked me fair in the eye then bent her head and spat the tablet onto the floor. Then, she looked at me again, almost apologetically, got up and went to sit in her spot in the sun.

Hnnnnnnhhh!

Long story short: after numerous acrobatic and creative attempts to get the blasted pill into the dog (and that included the eventual disintegration of the original pill and having to get a replacement one), I sat back in frustration. I had the pill on the flat of my palm. Roxanne sniffed it once, licked it up and ate it. Just like that.

HNNNNNNNHHHHHHHH!!!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
OMG I absolutely LOVED reading that!! Just another true life story of yours that made me laugh out loud :D
I bet you were glad your husband and son were there also?!! :11:

I took my dad's Jack Russell Terrier to the vet the other day, and while not as bad of a time as you had, she was still a terrier on full blast!! At least at 16 lbs. she's not too bad to manage unlike a BT! Still, you know how I LOVE those Bullies Trish!!!:D

I'm glad to hear about Dommie being able to eat a little seed treat again, yay!
I hope Roxie's ears get all better permanently this time and never bother her again. The vet told me similar about Raven's sinuses, that it might always be a problem. We hate to hear those things!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You have such a wonderful way of telling stories:) I always enjoy reading about your critters adventures. Glad Dommie is doing better and I bet he'll enjoy his seeds. I love that you call his crest his hat:D You're lucky the vet took Dommie's "goodbye" in stride. Lucy the DYH bit a vet once, and he charged my mom EXTRA:eek:

As for Roxy.... I just about died laughing at how much howling she had going on:54: I mean, what were you to do lol? She just thought she was entertaining everyone while they were waiting:). Kiwi's first visit to a vet was quite....embarassing too:52: It was absolutely packed in the waiting room (as it was the dead of winter and only 20 something degrees outside), so there was only room for his travel cage on the floor. This office had 3 vets, and the clinic treated all manners of critters. An overly-curious dog got a tad to close to the cage....BAM! Kiwi grabbed a hold of the dogs nose and gave it a good pinch:eek: Dog let out a howl like it had been shot, and here's Kiwi doing his flashy/aggression dance for all to see my it was MY misbehaven pet causing problems:54:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Lucy the DYH bit a vet once, and he charged my mom EXTRA:eek:

OMG. Never heard of charging extra for that :52: I would think it's understood that they (the vet) assumes the risk. Though getting bit by an Amazon can be quite the wound!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
If a vet charged me extra for a bite that would be the last time I went to that vet. An avian vet should know better.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Your writing style is very vivid and enjoyable :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
The vet charging extra happened in the 80's before I was even born lol, and it was a "rural" vets office that mostly treated livestock. I don't even know if avian specialized vets were available to the public back then, and if so, certainly not in rural areas:) Heck, it was only in the last 15 or so years the area my parents are from even got an exotics vet (who is very knowledgeable with birds and saved Lucy's life), theres still no dedicated AV. My mom says that particular vet was terrified of her birds, and after he got bit, he refused to treat parrots ever again:rolleyes:.

Most Reactions

Latest posts