Change of plans...

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Unfortunately, the offer to provide a home for the quaker I was originally going to adopt was reneged. So my plans at purchasing a cage suitable for an "adult" quaker were put on hold. With the promise of a baby quaker looming on the horizon, the search for a suitable cage is on.

The original contender (Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch) most definitely seems outrageously huge for a wee bitty bird . As well, I am concerned that the doors do not appear to latch or lock.

I really, really would like a cage that has a locking front door and the feeder bowls/dishes that you can remove from the cage without having to reach into the cage for them. I found this: New Large Play Top Bird Cage Parttot Finch Macaw Cockatoo Birdcages.

But again, it seems outlandishly large for a baby bird. Granted s/he will grow, but in the interim is there a better option? Or, rather, is there a better cage I should be considering from the start?

JJ

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Sorry about that! I really wasn't sure if I was allowed to post pictures or links to other sites. Let me try this...

The cages are the one w/ locking doors:
jenjen-albums-cage-options-picture9111-image.jpg

And the original contender:
jenjen-albums-cage-options-picture9109-image.jpg

Thanks!
JJ

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
What is the bar spacing on the new 'big' cage? I'd say that's a lovely cage, but unsure on the spacing for a Quaker.

When birds are young in their 'big bird cage' you just have to place everything lower until they've gained a better understanding of their balance and ability to clamber! :)

Edit: &swing feeders are an absolute GOD SEND!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh JJ, I would take the first one, NO doubt about it. MUCH better and more convenient cage. :)

I agree that locking doors are a "must have". And it's SO much easier to change food and water with access from the outside. :)

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
I believe the spacing on the playtop is 3/4". Hopefully that's not too much?

JJ

ETA: these are the features:

Non-Toxic Coated Finished Safe for Bird
Durable Metal Wire Bar to Secured Large Birds
Strong and Steady Metal Main Frame
Open Pyramid Top Play Area with Ladder, 2 Stainless Steel Bowls and a Perch. Large Steel Front Door with Snapping Lock
3 Feeder Doors with Locks for Easy Feeding
3 Interior Stainless Steel Feeding Bowls for Dry/Wet Food and Water
1 Interior Long Wooden Perch for Resting
Upper Removable Sliding Metal Tray for Easy Cleaning
Lower Removable Sliding Grate for Easy Cleaning
Lower Removable Sliding Metal Tray for Easy Cleaning
4 Strong Swivel Casters 2 Locks for Mobility and Stability

Dimensions: 24"x22"x37-1/2"
Overall Height Including Stand: 66-1/8 <li>Bar Spacing: 3/4"
Bar Thickness: 3, 4, 5 (mm)
Caiques, Conures Blue Crown, Green Cheek, Gold Cap, Jenday, Nanday, Sun, Jardines, Meyer's Parrots, Pionus, Poicephalus, Senegals, Red-bellied, Other Similar Size Birds

JJ

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I believe the spacing on the playtop is 3/4". Hopefully that's not too much?

JJ

Merlin got his head stuck in a 2.5cm travel cage bar. and 3/4" is just under 2cm, so I think you'd be fine. Best to maybe get in touch with the companies selling the cage?

Not sure how much smaller Quakers are, because that would make all the difference.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
The other, non lockable cage specs are: 31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing.

The lockable one has mixed reviews with people reporting bent cage parts. With that kind of quality, I wonder how genuine then"non-toxic" claim is.

JJ

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I was shopping for cages recently, and went with the “K&E” brand.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Now I'm really uncertain! As I continue to browse, I find other "maybe" suitable cages. This one is similar to the play top one, but instead of going for height it sort of goes for width. Wrought Iron w/ non toxic powder coat finish. Overall Dimensions: 32''L x 30''W x 70''H with an overall height (Including stand, Seed Guard and Play Top); Cage Dimensions: 24" x 22" x 35"H. (Including stand and Play Top). Doors appear to have locks on them. Bar spacing is supposed to be 5/8" (with some allowance for manufacturer error).

jenjen-albums-cage-options-picture9124-wider.jpg

I'm wondering how easily the quaker will be able to maneuver around on the bottom of the cage. The spacing looks kind of wide. Also going to need to be able to add more than just the one perch.

Thoughts?

TIA - JJ

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
The spacing looks about the same as the spacing of my IRN cages and they do fine with it...Occasionally the lovebird has gone in Pippins cage and she climbs around quite happily! LOL

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Now I'm really uncertain! As I continue to browse, I find other "maybe" suitable cages. This one is similar to the play top one, but instead of going for height it sort of goes for width. Wrought Iron w/ non toxic powder coat finish. Overall Dimensions: 32''L x 30''W x 70''H with an overall height (Including stand, Seed Guard and Play Top); Cage Dimensions: 24" x 22" x 35"H. (Including stand and Play Top). Doors appear to have locks on them. Bar spacing is supposed to be 5/8" (with some allowance for manufacturer error).

I'm wondering how easily the quaker will be able to maneuver around on the bottom of the cage. The spacing looks kind of wide. Also going to need to be able to add more than just the one perch.

Thoughts?

TIA - JJ

I like that, sounds like a good cae. Width is better than height too imo ;)

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Before I order the playtop, can someone confirm 3/4" bar spacing is safe for a baby quaker? Also, what about the vertical bars... Will s/he still be able to climb around the cage?

A very anxious JJ!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Before I order the playtop, can someone confirm 3/4" bar spacing is safe for a baby quaker? Also, what about the vertical bars... Will s/he still be able to climb around the cage?

A very anxious JJ!

3/4" is just under 2cm bar spacing, which I believe to be okay. BUT, ring the company and see what they say. Maybe some other quaker owners can chime in. Maybe start a new thread about it to draw attention in from other owners? :)

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
So I contacted the company and their response is "we do not specialize in birds, therefore we cannot tell you the appropriate bar spacing for your parrot". Which is kind of worrisome considering they're selling a bird cage. Unfortunately, out of the dozens upon dozens of cages I have looked at, this is the one I like the most (the lockable doors, swing out feeder doors, play top roof).

I'd feel out of place creating a whole new thread to discuss this particular cage, so am hopeful that someone who is familiar with the cage pictured below might chime in with their impressions on the cage.

jenjen-albums-cage-options-picture9111-image.jpg

JJ

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
What company is it? You never said a company name / model number. You could post a link to the product item's page.

IAC, I looked at what few cages were in stock at the local store, and saw what brands they were and the general details of each brand. But, then looked on line for the complete selection of those brands.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
The cage is the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Large-Parttot-Finch-Cockatoo-Birdcages/dp/B002SMC25E"]New Large Play Top Bird Cage Parttot(sic) Finch Macaw Cockatoo Birdcages" by BestChoiceproducts[/ame].

It looks solid, but looks can often be deceiving.

JJ

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Thoughts?

TIA - JJ

I REALLY like this cage for a Quaker. The bar spacing is actually a bit smaller on this one than the first one you posted. :)

You would have to furnish it, of course. Don't use the dowel that most likely will come with it, but provide rope perches, natural wood perches, perhaps a boing, pedicure perch, swing, etc. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts