Question about GCC cage

sfillmore123

Aug 31, 2017
sacramento, CA
Parrots
none right now
Hi everyone! I am new to the group. I don't currently have a GCC but am planning on getting one in a few months. My cockatiel died a few months ago, had him for 21 years, and I really miss having a bird. Before I get a GCC, I want to get a new cage and have a few questions.

I have room for a fairly large cage that will be placed in the corner of my living room. I want the maximum space for him/her and have been shopping on amazon.
These are a few I am looking at
https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produ...qid=1504215378&sr=1-6&keywords=bird+cage&th=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Parr...216193&sr=1-49-spons&keywords=bird+cage&psc=1

I like size of the first one but am not sure if it is appropriate for a GCC. What do you guys think? Do you have any cage recommendations?

Also, I have an 18x18x24 cage that I am planning on using as a sleeping cage. Would it be ok to keep my new GCC in the smaller cage for a couple weeks while he she is adjusting and getting used to me. I'm worried if I put him/her in too large of a cage I wont be able to catch him/her.

Thanks everyone!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Both cage sizes look good as long as you are sure the bars are close enough together.

I wouldn't worry about a smaller cage; as long as you buy from a decent breeder or store your baby should be eager to interact with you and there should be no need for catching. Only exception would be of course an older rescue who is already nervous around people in which case it might be wise. Anyone trying to sell you a skittish baby should be run from though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
The first cage you posted is actually my cockatiel's cage. It's a great cage! Very roomy, affordable, and appropriate bar spacing for parrots of this size. The only thing is that it comes with plastic food cups and stainless steel is better because the plastic ones build up bacteria and are hard to clean, so you will have to replace those. Like most cages, it comes with a few dowel perches but those are no good for their feet so they are of no use.

OP
sfillmore123

sfillmore123

Aug 31, 2017
sacramento, CA
Parrots
none right now
Thanks guys! I'm happy to get a review from someone who actually has the first cage! I want a really big cage but wasn't sure if it would work for a GCC. I'm not planning on using the plastic cups or perches it comes with, I like stainless steel bowels and natural branches/ ropes better. As far as getting a baby, I just wasn't sure how it would be when I first got it. My cockatiel was a year old already when I got him and was super friendly with everyone. I went to the bird specialty store in my area a few days ago and their babies seemed really curious but seemed a little nervous when out of the cage but didn't bite or try to fly away. Maybe it was just the 50 other birds screaming their heads off, lol! I really liked their turquoise GCC but am not quite ready to buy yet. We are going to be painting and redoing the bathrooms in the next couple months so I want to wait until those projects are finished.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I think what you will find.... is your GCC will be all over his cage all in his cage all over you, all over your desk all over your couch, all over your ...um Tupperware, basically it's a sleeping cage, with a GCC they will be with you basically any time you're home. So in my estimation both cages look like 5 star hotel suites.

Most Reactions