Changing his bed

7elevengurl

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
A turquoise conure
Hi, new to this site and birds! I've been given a turquoise conure and I am wondering if I can change his bed for the winter months?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome! What exactly do you mean by “bed”? Are you referring to a cozy hut?

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
Cozy huts are really not great to use for birds. I would recommend removing that from his cage.
Were you intending to use that to keep your conure warm? For my budgies I got a small space heater to keep their room warmer in the winter.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Cozy huts are really not great to use for birds. I would recommend removing that from his cage.
Were you intending to use that to keep your conure warm? For my budgies I got a small space heater to keep their room warmer in the winter.

Be cautious with space heaters as well as many are not bird safe. I use the snuggle up bird warmer in my bird's sleep cage.

OP

7elevengurl

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
A turquoise conure
He was given to me and have never had birds before. I'm figuring he has used this from the start as this is his go to when it's lights out.

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
Be cautious with space heaters as well as many are not bird safe. I use the snuggle up bird warmer in my bird's sleep cage.
Yes, that's right I should have mentioned that. Definitely research different heaters if you do decide to go that route, and make sure that they're bird safe.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I know some members use seagrass huts because they are safer. Really with anything fabric you just need to make sure your bird isn’t chewing it as the fluff can cause crop impaction. Loose string or threads they can get caught on can also be very dangerous.

You will hear different opinions on fabric cozy huts. Some people use them without problems and others have horror stories about them. I personally don’t use one but if your bird is already used to having it it may be difficult to take away. You might look into a seagrass one to see what he thinks of it.

OP

7elevengurl

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
A turquoise conure
I know some members use seagrass huts because they are safer. Really with anything fabric you just need to make sure your bird isn’t chewing it as the fluff can cause crop impaction. Loose string or threads they can get caught on can also be very dangerous.

You will hear different opinions on fabric cozy huts. Some people use them without problems and others have horror stories about them. I personally don’t use one but if your bird is already used to having it it may be difficult to take away. You might look into a seagrass one to see what he thinks of it.
Ok thank you, just trying to do the right thing so I don't lose him
Happy I found this forum as I would be lost!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another user of a Snuggle-up cage heater. Salty loves his. We only turn it on once the chill in the air starts, so its been on a week or so up here in NY.

Huts - chief worry is them ingesting the fabric or threads, which will eventually kill them. I will always recommend they be removed as people are notorious for checking things and then slowly letting them get dropped from any inspection.

Most Reactions