Changing The Name?

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Well, I don't think 'Ricco' is a bad name, it could be a lot worse. But would it be a bad or a good idea to change his name?

He already says his name. Apparently he was named "Screech" for the first four years of his life, then this woman changed it to "Ricco."

He lives in a Cockatiel sized cage (he's a G2), eats an all seed diet, and has limited attention. I'm getting him on the 30th. What do you think about a name change?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I have known others to change their Birds Name and they have soon learnt how to say their new one :)

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thanks, wenz :) I just don't want to confuse him more than he already will be, you know?

Anyone else?

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I think that they adjust quite well to new names. I have to say that I love the name Ricco though. Whatever you decide though make sure that you use something that is easy to say and try to keep it to two or less syllables if possible as animals respond well to the cadence it provides. I'm so excited for you to be getting your new baby.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Sugar was Dragon before I got her. I've had her about 6 weeks and she's already saying her new name. I was told she says and responds to "Dragon", but I've never called her that, nor have I ever heard her say it.

Some may argue against changing their name, and that's a personal opinion. I think they usually adjust just fine.

Any ideas on what you'd like to call him?

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I think you can change the name. He's going to go through a lot of change, a new cage, new diet, may as well add a new name to the mix.

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thanks, guys!

I'm still not for sure if I'm going to change it. I do like the name Ricco, but it's not something I would have picked.

Katherine - Wait a second... You changed the name DRAGON?! That's a freakin' awesome name! LOL

Yep. I want to name him Samson. :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Thanks, guys!

I'm still not for sure if I'm going to change it. I do like the name Ricco, but it's not something I would have picked.

Katherine - Wait a second... You changed the name DRAGON?! That's a freakin' awesome name! LOL

Yep. I want to name him Samson. :)

Dragon felt... wrong. Also unimaginative to me. We have a Bearded Dragon that we named after a dragon, but I refused to actually call Dragon. That's just me though.

Samson... any particular reason?

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
I just love the name. I also love Regina Spektor's song called Samson. It just feels 'right' to me. Makes me think of a sweet, well natured being. :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I just love the name. I also love Regina Spektor's song called Samson. It just feels 'right' to me. Makes me think of a sweet, well natured being. :)

Samson came back to bed, Not much hair upon his head....

It is a good song. And hey, if it feels "right" to you, go for it. Sugar's original name didn't feel right to me, whereas Loki came with his name and I saw absolutely no reason to change it (it FITS him!). I went with Sugar for a variety of reasons; in homage to the original Goffins that turned me on to the species many many years ago, because she's sweet like sugar :rolleyes: and because it sounds more like a term on endearment that I would use (along with baby, sweetheart and love, lol).

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
I would just try and call him with the new name and see how he reacts to it :) if it fits, he'll have a new name, no problem imho.

we had a budgie with the name Betty, turned out she was a he, we tried to change it, but the little one just wouldn't respond to a new one, so he stayed Betty for 6 more years :p

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
I like Ricco....it rhymes with Chico! But Samson is cute and Sammy for short is cute too! Are you going to visit with him again before bringing him home? Why is she making you wait until the 30th? I was off last week for vacation and most of this week....Chico turned 8 weeks on Tuesday and all of his feathers are grown in...he looks so big now! My breeder sent me a picture and he totally looks like a different bird from 2weeks ago! I can't wait to bring him home! Totally feel the same as you do....counting the days.

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thanks! :)

GiosMom - No, not visiting until we bring him home :( Almost 3 hour trip there and then another 3 hours back. She's not making me wait, I could have taken him home Saturday. But I wanted a bit of time to prepare, set his cage up, get his food, etc. I was going to pick him up next Saturday, but she'll be out of town that day, so we decided on the 30th. :)

I know! :D I'm super excited, I just went and bought all the supplies to make his playstand :D You bring Chico home in August, right? Woo!

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
Yes!! Hopefully! It's all up to Chico depends when he's weaned and ready....Chico is 3 hours away too! I'm in Weston he's in Tampa. Can't wait for him...Gio is driving me crazy!!

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Oh gosh! Yeah, if I had to wait anymore than 3 weeks, I would totally go visit him again. Although, I would probably visit him again anyway, but I'm super busy the next two weekends :(

Most Reactions