Charlie is wheezing

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
SO Charlie is off to the vet tomorrow...she is very wheezy I dont like the soind of it...she also slowly droops over when she is perching on top of the cage... im kinda worried cause I dont have a lot of money right now...and giving her any meds is gonna be a beast...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
How scary D: I hope everything turns out ok, please keep us updated on her condition and watch her carefully through out the night.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
She started wheezing night before last...first appt i could get at the vet is tomorrow...so far she is eating and drinking and pooping just fine...

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
She started wheezing night before last...first appt i could get at the vet is tomorrow...so far she is eating and drinking and pooping just fine...
how noticible is the wheezing? and have you noticed any drop in her weight?

I'll keep her in my thoughts :heart:

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I cant touch her so I cant get a weight... you have to get close to hear it... but everything else seems normal I give her a set amount of pellets each day and hardly any ends up on the bottom of the cage...I also give her veggies in the pm... so she appears to be eating good

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
And she eats her treats just fine...lol

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I'm not saying this will work, or is even appropriate. But; are his nares blocked at all?

When our Brucie shows his first signs of respiratory issues coming back again we basically get a hot bowl of water and 'steam clean' his nares hoping to unblock his airwaves. Works for a few days until we can get him into the vets :) Might be something to look in to.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
if your bird were small, I would suspect air sac mites, but parrots typically don't get those.

I hope it's nothing serious and doesn't cost you a fortune either.
sorry, I don't have any suggestions.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Can you get him into a steamy bathroom? The steam may help with the wheezing until you get to the vet, if this works please still go to your appointment. this is just a way to help temporarily.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Her nares look fine I'll see if I can get her into the bathroom for a steam treatment

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Her nares look fine I'll see if I can get her into the bathroom for a steam treatment

Just hold her over the basin of hot water or something. We did that with a small dish for Brucie (budgie.) and he cleared up for a while, we did it twice a day and even resorted to rubbing warm, wet, cotton buds over his nares when particularly clogged. But the humidity and steam should help Charlie's breathing - at least for temporary relief I'd say whilst waiting on a vet.

Brucie's nares weren't always visibly clogged, but we spotted the tail bobbing and 'wheezing' and knew what we had to do each time until we got him to the vets for some antibiotics. Couple of days on those and all cleared up. I'm sure Charlie will be fine soon :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope everything turns out ok tomorrow at Dr Lutz.....

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
it seems to be a little worse today...louder...I gave her sunflower seeds last night because she didn't seem to want her pellets but she ate those just fine...I have to work till 12:30/1 ish and then her appt is at 2:45. I was able to get her into the bathroom last night while I took a shower but it didn't seem to help much...other than that she seems alert

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Should I take Parker too so he can get checked out?

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair or maroon bellied conures,
a pair of mulga parrots
Im sorry to hear about charlie,
I'm not sure if you have / are already doing this but keep charlie warm..
Whenever i had a sick bird and my hospital cages / brooders were in use and i couldn't get to a vet that day i would put an infared heat lamp on one side of the cage and cover the top section of the cage with a towel or something, just to try and hold some of the heat in... but make sure that charlie can move away from the heat if he wants.
I was also given an electrolyte powder that i would mix in the water (before i knew how to crop tube) just to keep energy levels up if they werent eating properly.

Some people use heat pads and cover the whole cage.

I hope this helps,

Hayden

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
If you are low on funds, take Charlie first and see what's wrong with him. It might not be a respiratory but something else... for example, when the liver is VERY enlarged (common in older amazons), it 'squeezes' the air sacs and causes wheezing but it's not contagious at all.

Good luck at the vet!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes I agree with Pajarita! Take Charlie first to see what's going on and if it was something contagious then bring Parker.

Most Reactions

Latest posts