I am an idiot and currently have a drunk bird

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I left my half full can of pineapple and raspberry cider (i believe its classed as hard cider in the US)on top of Albies cage and forgot about.

So obviously he tips it over doesnt he and i dont notice until he starts acting weird. Like wanting affection but being aggressive about it and being a little off balance and making lots of quiet sweet repeatitive noises while being angry fluffy

It clicks and i remeber my can. Its tipped over and pretty mych emptied on the top of his cage , where hes been , quiet and "behaving" of course he qas behaving ,he was drinking a forbidden beverage!

Now im worrying about gim and dreading tomorrow, hes gonna be horrible and probably feel wretched .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What you will not find in any books, reference materials:, etc.. Dealing With A Parrot With A Hangover!!

As much sleep as he wants! The more the better!
As much water as he wants! Yes, it could bring on a second wave, but he will need water!
Steer clear of the Beak!
Keep the noise and activities at a low level! Not a good day to use the Vac!
Eating will be iffy, either chewing-up a storm or, not at all, but have available all the time.
Expect major swings in personality, based on a timeline. With luck by mid-day things 'could improve!'

Consider yourself very lucky if a serious bite does not occur!

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Hes currently settled in his cage beak grinding so.tbere is that !

Urgh i cant believe i was stupid enough to put it o top of his cage! I will deserve any bites i get tomorrow and he will get what he needs .

We are pretty quiet during the day so it'll be nice and chill for him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well as a pirate parrot, Salty has had his share o' the keg. He prefers Capt Morgan, but will drink anything, the little sot. Next morning hang overs are addressed by a hair of the bird method.

JUST KIDDING!! Alcohol is NOT safe for any kind of bird or parrot.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well as a pirate parrot, Salty has had his share o' the keg. He prefers Capt Morgan, but will drink anything, the little sot. Next morning hang overs are addressed by a hair of the bird method.

JUST KIDDING!! Alcohol is NOT safe for any kind of bird or parrot.
So very true, Al! Overly ripened fruit is the most common source!

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Pancho got into my wine once... now I have to fight him for my wine. He will literally rip the cup from my lips if he can get to it. Doesn't much care for hubby's beer though. The birds got good taste🤣

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Hes been fine today , more hungry than normal and seemed very disappointed that his water was only water 🤣
He decided my husband was his person today which he seems to do when hes not feeling well or when hubbys not doing well, with me hes been bitey .

All in all hes ok

Raf Kiwi

Feb 14, 2023
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
My grandads lines used to be an alcy every Sunday morning my grandad used to get up go down stairs and find the bird on his back. My grandad would pick it up and put a couple of drops of brandy in its beak and bravo. He never learned the bird out lived him.

Raf Kiwi

Feb 14, 2023
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
My grandads lines used to be an alcy every Sunday morning my grandad used to get up go down stairs and find the bird on his back. My grandad would pick it up and put a couple of drops of brandy in its beak and bravo. He never learned the bird out lived him.
Linet

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I only offer this for you to feel better, sometimes my conures try to get some wine and rarely...but sometimes they get a sip. Of course they want it, I'm having it. Same as my food.

I'm sure if they got more they would likely get very sick but I usually am vigalent. They seem to be able to fly so sometimes they win a little bit at getting a small sip before I'm like oh shi.....

An alternative is put some OJ or apple juice in a glass a bit aways as a deterent or rather a safe alternative.

You made a mistake, we forgive you.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Pancho got into my wine once... now I have to fight him for my wine. He will literally rip the cup from my lips if he can get to it. Doesn't much care for hubby's beer though. The birds got good taste🤣
I had a budgie that used to sit on the edge of my wine glass and steal a sip when my head was turned. Only ONE SIP and he was shut off. Didn't want to risk him getting sick!

Most Reactions