charlie my blue indian ringneck

becca470

Oct 3, 2012
Parrots
alexandrine
hey i brought charlie about 2 weeks ago hes nearly 1 years old, any tips on taming him and also i noticed today after i put him into a new bigger cage that he sounds like hes grinding his beak together does anyone knw what that means?

Mr_Tarell

Oct 16, 2012
Long Island, N.Y.
Parrots
Alexandrine named Tiki
Hi Becca470,
Congratulations on getting Charlie!
As far as taming him I have a few questions first. Was he hand tamed before? Where did you buy him? Are you his first home?
Far as the beak grinding, from the experience from my alexandrine and from what I have read, that just means that Charlie is relaxed and comfortable.

OP
B

becca470

Oct 3, 2012
Parrots
alexandrine
Hi Becca470,
Congratulations on getting Charlie!
As far as taming him I have a few questions first. Was he hand tamed before? Where did you buy him? Are you his first home?
Far as the beak grinding, from the experience from my alexandrine and from what I have read, that just means that Charlie is relaxed and comfortable.

hey hes not hand tamed cant hold him he will take food from my hand outside the cage but when i put my hand in he seems to go a bit crazy, i brought him from a lady who couldnt give him the attention and im his second home

Bpd15

Oct 5, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Parrots
Lovebird (Gidget)
IRN (Joxer)
I'm in sorta the same predicament, Joxer is a rehome, he's not really tame now that I think about it, he's just not aggressive. He won't willingly come out of his cage and gets scared if I approach him however he will step up and does not bite. So I've been looking at how I can get him to trust me more and I came across this Parrot Forum • View topic - How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage which seems like a good detailed game plan and could help us both.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
I have read that IRN's go through a bluffing stage in their first year. However after that they become tame again. I would try to spend time with your parrot in a separate room away from his cage. Just don't give up to quickly and be patient. Once your bird earns your trust then you will have a friend for life. I would give him treats in the separate room. I would also talk to him alot. Well I hope this help you, Peace to you.

Most Reactions