Charlie our little Bourke

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
17506.jpg

Charlie Bourkes Parakeet​

Early hours of this morning Charlie passed away,
He had a particularly bad night fright and fell off his perch. This came as a shock as he hasn't suffered from night frights for quite a long time. He died in my arms, I'm so glad that he wasn't alone when this happened. He will be missed by us all.

I'll tell you more about him later, its just too upsetting at the moment.​

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Oh Peta!!!! (((((((((((((((((((((((P)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am so so sorry to hear this!!! I know what it is like to have your baby pass in your arms (or hands) as I have had two pass that way not that long ago. When you can I for one would love to hear about this precious little birdie angel.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Peta)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

So sorry (again). :(

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
It will be good to hear of all the fun and love this little guy has been blessed with.
Thinking of you K x

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I really am so sorry Peta...:(
Put my name on the list too to hear his story once you are ready..
Thinking of you...

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh my dear, sweet Peta, my heart goes out to you and your family. I am so thankful that Charlie passed over with someone who loved and cared for him so.

I hold Charlie in my thoughts, closely. What a beautiful little thing he is; each life is precious. As Karen has mentioned, memories live forever. Thank goodness for that.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Peta, I'm so sorry that one of your fids passed, especially so suddenly. I'm sure that you gave him a great life though, one that all of us would love to hear.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thank you everyone,

Bourkes are known for their graceful and fast flight, Charlie was not gracefrul or fast, in fact he kinda juddered when he flew and he looked as if he would fall out of the air. They are also known for not biting and in that sense he was a true Bourke, we never had a bite from them ever, no matter how scared he got, and with his flight being so bad he did manage to get in some real awkward places. Both the Bourkes loved Luke (my son) but Charlie definately loved him. He would have flown around the world if Luke had asked him too, they had such a special and close bond. When Luke had been really ill with Glandular fever a while back Charlie would sit on the edge of his bed chirping away to him, I'm sure that helped Luke make his recovery, and all the while Luke was off school you could find the pair of them together.

I would always try to get them out of the cage just before Luke came home from School, but they weren't having that and Charlie would hide his head behind Harley and would not budge, but as soon as Luke came home from school and came up the stairs and said "Hi Charlie, Harley" that was it , you could see the excitement in them.
charleyharley-3.jpg

We never could find out why Charlies flight was so bad, but from the next pictures you can see his wing, it was permanently drooped, and never went back any further than you can see here. He is also missing claws on 3 toes, never able to find out how that happened either.
charlieharley-1.jpg

Charley is the one standing at the side of the car.

charleyharley-2.jpg

Harley loves to have Luke push her around on that car, but Charlie would just love to sit with him, either on his arm or his shoulder.

He may not have been graceful, he may not have been fast, he was even a bit of a scruff, but we loved him no matter what.

REST IN PEACE MY LITTLE ANGEL. YOU WILL BE MISSED BUT DEFINATELY REMEMBERED ALWAYS. :smile015: :smile015: :smile015: :smile015:

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
What a totally amazing little guy...he will leave a huge gap but also huge and happy memories.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Thank you for sharing ... Charlie sounds like he was a really sweet baby. How is Luke handling this?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
How is Luke handling this?

Not too good at the moment. Think it will be easier when we have Charlie home so we can bury him in the garden with the rest of the fids and furby's that have passed. At the moment he is at the vets.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
:40: I am so sorry Peta, it is amazing how attached we get even to the little guys. I can't imgaine losing any of guys it would totally devestate me. I do know one thing for sure Charlie had the very best home a little Bourke could have I know he was loved and chereished.
We will miss you Charlie - Kelli,Sidney,Misty,and Daisy

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Kelli, thank you so much, that is so very nice of you. You give Sidney, Misty and Daisy great big hugs and scritches from us all.

Indigo, Thank you he appreciates it.

You guys really are the very best. :07: :07: :07: :07: :07:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Wow!nice story had that little fella..
He was lucky to be loved by someone so much, and will definetely stay in your and our memories..
How is Harley reacting to his absence?
Did he see him when he was...?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Harley isn't handling it too well at the moment, poor little soul doesn't know why Charlie is not sitting next to her. She has been calling for him all day, its heartbreaking. Luke has now taken her upstairs with him, so hopefully that will help both of them a little bit. Its horrible to feel so helpless, but I know its only time and extra love to get them both through this.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
You are absolutely right Peta..
It's heartbreaking indeed..
They say that time cures everything...

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yes and while I know this to be true, its just so hard to see the other side right at the moment. But we will and then we can remember the good times with him instead of this time.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss:(, its so hard to accept that they are gone. But the most important part is that you cherished every moment with him, and he enjoyed his life so much with you. You were there for him when he needed rescueing, you were there for him when he needed your love, and you were there for him when he took his last breath. Rest in peace little angel, Peta, you have done a great job.:)

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Oh Peta, I am so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine losing my bird friends. I am sending hugs to you and your family and Harley.

Most Reactions

Latest posts