Check out this feather re-growth!!

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Just took some pictures of Pico tonight, and compared them to ones I took on the 14th....

And tonight

And this is how she came here looking like on September 5th

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow! Pico's progress is amazing. I know every one of those lovely new feathers makes you want to celebrate. I'm delighted to see this. Give that darling girl an extra hug for me.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
She is looking amazing! Congrats on her progress, cant wait for the picture of her fully feathered chest. Give her a hug for me as well!

Last edited:
OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I know, I'm amazed! I knew there was some growth, but I didn't realize the extent. It's coming in quick! I'm elated!
She looks cold sometimes... The feathers will help that lol.
But really, tonight I was sitting by her cage like I usually do, and she was heavily preening that towel I have hanging there, instead of her chest. I feel it is the biggest help for her!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I really didn't work with that many pluckers. I was not that good with them. (Plucking is hard!)

I've tried a wide variety of toys with pluckers, but never thought of using a towel as a preening toy, but it makes perfect sense since big macs love towels and blankets...

Bathing, attention, out time, and improved living conditions tend to work wonders with macaws. Then find a way to teach them to chew on toys, and not themselves. Then hope for the best. I wish there were a protocol that stopped plucking every time, but there really isn't.

It appears that the vast majority of the feather follicles were not damaged, so hopefully this one will regrow all her feathers, and no one will notice.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
I've spoken with a woman who makes a living on refeathering birds. She has a a strict protocol on diet. I don't think my girl was that far gone.
She couldn't have been, to have this much success, this quickly.
The towel really is helping her though.
Thank You birdman.
I wouldn't have brought this scarlet home after her last owner, of 13 years, called her evil, if you hadn't have encouraged me.
She is an amazing, sensitive and such a gentle girl.
Even beaking me has been a success.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Your progress with her is absolutely amazing! I always love to see a bird coming back from being a plucker. It is such a stubborn condition, as Mark pointed out, that a tragically large number of birds never manage to break the habit.

So it's heartwarming to see the ones that do.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
That is amazing progress! She is such a beautiful girl anyway, but I can't believe the difference even the amount of feathers she has already grown back makes in her appearance. And she just looks happier.

Her eyes look so clear and relaxed.. you can just tell how content she is now.

mrfish

Sep 26, 2014
Parrots
I'm living with 2 Greys, 2 Amazons, 2 B&G Macaws, & 1 Cockatoo.
amazing! she's getting prettier and prettier.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Wow awesome progress. I must have missed all your prev posts, but this really makes me all warm and gooey inside. It is a truly amazing feeling to see progress as nice as this.

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
Awesome growth on the feathers!

Most Reactions

Latest posts