Cheesey dorito snacks

Kaytlynn

Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Parrots
Yellow-headed Amazon
Hey everyone! I got link going om two weeks ago and his previous owner told me his favorite snacks were doritos. I have noticed this is true since link gets excited when he hears or sees the bag. If im eating some he will chatter until he gets one too. I guess my question is, how often can my friend have these? :greenyellow:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'd use them sparingly, since they don't have much nutrition, and they're on the unhealthy side. Occasionally, it should be okay though.

Birds like junk food just like we do. I don't eat it often, but when I do, I usually give Puck a small taste, so he feels included. He had a french fry today, and he loved it!

Mitchell

Jan 11, 2012
Houston Texas
Parrots
Baby Vosmaeri Eclectus (hatched 9-11-11)
I'm guilty! I give my Lenny a chip and various other snacks occasionally. Those eyes and coo's get me every time!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol remy nut loves french fries! but as its so rare for us to eat them, she can have a little when we do

right now she is sharing some risotto i am having for lunch (home made so i know there is next to no salt, in her portion)

to be on the safe side and this is so boring, no more then a chip a wk! i'd say because of the salt content, unless you can come across some low fat unsalted alternatives, also be aware of ingredients in the crisps, as onions are on the no no/ frowned upon list, and onion powder is used to flavour such foods

OP
K

Kaytlynn

Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Parrots
Yellow-headed Amazon
Is there a list somewhere as to what is okay and not okay for link to eat? Of so, could someone guide me to it? I have a small list already but a larger one would be best.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
With Rowdy it's popcorn. I just really can't eat it anymore because she will just screech and screech for more and more. I'm quite certain she should not be eating 30 pieces of popcorn. I made the mistake of giving her a piece and that was the end of that. Other junk food that she asks for I tell her, "Not birdie food" and she accepts that.

Yes, you definitely don't want to feed junk food on a regular basis. I really try not to do it at all to be honest. Even if that means I can't have popcorn anymore, lol!

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
French fries are the crack in our house (chik fil a only, we have a connoisseur).

If I eat fast food it's usually because i'm late to school and don't have time to stop for anything better, so on the rare occasion it comes home, Kevin can have one. But that is RARE.

I really do try to just feed him bits from our meals (pulling out veg before I add onions, pulling some risotto before I season; that sort of thing) rather than letting him get addicted to bad things, but birds really do help themselves. xD

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Yes, they like junk food as much as we do. Just give it to them sparingly. Little pieces. Try to guide them to healthier snacks. Cheerios, rice krispies, whole wheat pretzels, plain popcorn. A trick that I've used, with good success, is to put healthier snacks into empty bags of snacks that they recognize. They'll see the bag, and accept the food more readily than just giving them some new food.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Is there a list somewhere as to what is okay and not okay for link to eat? Of so, could someone guide me to it? I have a small list already but a larger one would be best.

Here's a thread in one of the other forums http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/449-toxic-list-our-birds.html

I let Kazi have tastes of junk food, but he gets teeny bits of it. He loves it, of course! But salt can build up in their systems so it's good to not give them too much in the way of salty or high sodium snacks.

Kazi's 'best' trick, though is climbing down and over to me so he can sneak nibbles of my breakfast when I'm not looking.

Most Reactions