OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Barankin (2006 - 2013)- peachface lovebird
Tihan - Yellow naped amazon (6+ years)
Hm... I've contacted another vet and he says Pacheco is a desease that would kill him in a few days and that my other bird would have the same issues and also die.
My first vet says Tihad does not have a liver deseaes based on the blood test, because if an organ works wrong, u will have other symptoms.
Should I get advice of a thind vet?
Get yourself a clean catalog (not read), roll it up and stick between the bars of his cage
I did, it's ignored. I had an old hat made of palm leaves. I've put it apart and now he's chewing on on them while they're insite a toilet paper roll (no glue)
once they're out, he drops everything and is no longuer interested.
I would do a detox treatment on him (Aloe Vera detox formula with extra milk thistle extract in his water) and put him on all fresh food with low protein, just in case it's his liver.

What exactly are you talking about? can you show the bottle or tell the name of the formula?
About the low protein food, I did put him on that previously, like 3 months a go. At that time he was sleeping even more. He does not sleep when I play with him, but he did at that time. After a month, I gave him back his normal food and he was more happy.

I've also bough him a big viny branch a couple of days a go. He made sure he does not touch it.
I've removed his perch from the cage and installed the branch. He stayed on the bottom of the cage in a corner while I was at work and did not move for 7 hours (I have video monitoring). The has pulled off lots of his big feathers. I wish I knew birds can be THAT obsessed about a wooden stick...
I've put back his perch at top of the other branch and put him on it. And he sayed "Good bird" which was kinda unexpected.
He was fine and eating normally. He was barbering, but just like the usual.
For instance his palm tree toy did not change anything, but I will hope it does some distraction.
He's living in a cage half the size he should live in. He's in the cage 3 days per week because I can work from home, but the management still want to see me in the office.
I didn't get a new one yet, but not sure if I should. He's scared of his new perch... Should I get a new cage?

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
hm... I was able to figure out something.

Tihan loves corn... not fresh or canned corn, but when u boil fresh corn and eat it, he loves to plain with the remaining part. He's not eating it, just chewing! That's awesome

Also, I take him to the kitchen while coocking (he doesn't fly and I cook outside) and he gets 'funny' while chewing on scallions. He's all 'tingly' and starts to make strange noises and looks amused. And the only time when he's talking and not angry, it's when he eats scallions.

After chewing on scallions and eated corn for 2 weeks, he touched a toy that I got for him!!!

It's a huge progress! :D

Also, my lovebird started bugging my amazon. The lovebird is fully winged and he flies 4-5 rounds around the room before landing. Now, each round, he lands on my amazons head and flies away, before the amazon has figured out what it is.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Don't feed scallions... onions are on the 'no no' list. Some are ok if they are cooked in something, but they can be deadly to your bird, as well!

You may find some good ideas on diet conversion in this thread (hope it helps!)
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/23367-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Foraging is a *great activity for perch potatoes! You may want to teach him to work for his food rather than getting it out of a dish!

I also recommend looking into clicker training, positive reinforcement, applied behavior analysis.... through the use of those you can teach him to play and interact with his toys!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Ay, no onions, no cooking with a parrot near and no allowing a budgie to perch on a zon or his cage. All very risky things to do...

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Ay, no onions, no cooking with a parrot near and no allowing a budgie to perch on a zon or his cage. All very risky things to do...

I know it sounds shoking to hear. Tihan flies like a rock, he goes straight down when fully winged. I have trimmed his wings when I got him as a precausion (for the adjusting period)
In the kitchen, he's sitting on a separate table, next to the outside door.
The kitchen is huge and well ventilated. There's no way for him to reach something hot.
Also, if I'm frying something, he won't be there, but if it's pasta or salad, I think it's OK.

By the way, the zon shares his cage perfectly. The lovebird gets in and steals his food while he's sitting on the door of the cage (Food is always more tasty in the other cage!). The zon is cool about it.

Last edited:
OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
omg... I didn't know onions are toxic for them :S
Thanx!

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Tihan is extra nice the last days.

Today I came home and he sayed "Grrrr.... Hello".
Usually he uses his 'old' words if he's planning to bite or if he's bitten someine, but today he lifted his feet to get picket up while using his "old english" words.

He's talking a lot and being extra nice even if man are around (he hates them usually).

He's so nice it's almost not normal.

Usually he's ignoring everything around. I have to pick him up to get his out of the cage, but the last week he's acting like he's happy to see me and starts to talk the first 5 min I'm home.

Should I worry for this drastic change? Is it normal for zons acting like that?

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
LOL - Yes, it's normal for birds to be happy. Does he sing yet? Zons love to sing opera-like...

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
LOL - Yes, it's normal for birds to be happy. Does he sing yet? Zons love to sing opera-like...

no, cuz nobody in my house sings, he talks if he sees someone.

I just find strange that 'suddently everything went better'

Most Reactions

Latest posts