Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
I have my conures in my bedroom mostly. We have a bi-level, so our bedroom window is at ground level. I leave the windows open and screens in, of course. I come home today to see our cat hovering around the window outside. I go to look and see a HOLE beginning to be form by my birds in the screen. Obviously my cat has some opportunistic intentions. My birds were in the cage at the time, luckily I noticed this hole! One head poking out or if one of them get out, its over.

So, now windows are shut. Is there a screen that these guys can't tear up? Any suggestions? I realize how luck we are, birds included, that something terrible didn't happen. I would have been distraught. :(

Thanks, Joe

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
You could use something like
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=adjustable+window+screen]Amazon.com: adjustable window screen[/ame]

I'm not suggesting they couldn't tear this up too, but it adds another barrier to the outside world while still letting the air flow.

Or you could buy some screen and build your own frame for it to fit in your window. Or you could use side panels from an old bird cage.

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
It certainly doesn't take long for them to chew through the window screen. Our cockatiel, Taco, can do damage in just a few minutes, so I am sure Tiki (GCC) would be houdini. Are there stainless steel window screens?

OP
J

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots

My screens are some sort of metal... I'll double check when I get home. I have lived here in this house for a year and just noticed this hole... It happened this weekend I'm sure.

I work at a fab shop so I'm sure I can get something... I thought about that 1/2 inch squared fencing... Kind of like chicken wire over the existing screen... I can prob weld it on the frame.

Initially, I dont think they really figured on chewing it...but we were landscaping a couple weeks ago, then they started being interested in the screens as barriers to getting to us... I think that's why they chewed it.

Thanks for the responses!

I'll look up the amazon link too. ;)

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
You don't want to use anything that is galvanized - like that 1/2" square hardware cloth you mentioned. Zinc is toxic. Even most of the items in the amazon search I linked to are galvanized, so that may not have been a good idea on my part.

OP
J

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots

Thanks for the heads up.. I'll look around ... For now ac is on and everything is shut....

proudbirdmum

May 16, 2015
Media
Brisbane
Parrots
Goblin my rescued adult female Fischer x masked Lovebird
and Gremlin my baby male Sun Conure
Hey, just wondering but they might be chewing our of boredom? Consider rotating their toys around everyday. Grass, leaves and branches are the best toys and usually free! If they are distracted by stuff within the cage they might not destroy anything outside?

My partner and I literally put giant branches into all our animals cages (birds and rats) from time to time and they have a blast destroying them!

Hope that helps :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts