Chica passed at just four years old...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of Chica. She was a beautiful companion.

Your post hit home so deeply to a place most of us have sadly been. I would encourage you to keep Chica's cage nearby as a reminder of the close bond and am sure you will, when the time is best, love another bird.
Every parrot that has crossed over lives in my heart and is memorialized in unique fashion - their names form the many passwords required in our society. (I don't do this right away when emotions are so raw) You may wish to consider attending a pet grief session administered by many humane societies/shelters if that method is comforting.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so very sorry. Not only was this an extremely close friend, but added to that, the shock of this being the first (pet or human) close to you that you've experienced losing. That's rough to say the least. Unfortunately, everyone who "loves" anyone will go through this tremendous pain at some point or another. It will most likely take a lot of time to 'heal' to the point where you could just smile about the precious memories. Until then, hang in there.

OP
C

Chica_

Aug 9, 2014
Thank you for all the kind messages everyone. My grief is only getting worse

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I understand... and it might get even worse before it gets better, and it might be just about all you can stand, and it may take a long time... If I sugar coated it, I don't know how much that would really ease the pain, but I will say that I DO understand :) Sometimes it helps a tiny bit to know that there are many people out there who have also experienced a tremendous amount of grief and pain.

Is it a possibility you can get a few sessions with a grief counselor or psychologist to help you?

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
How about some close friends? Maybe you can spend a long weekend just doing stuff you like to do? I'm thinking maybe move Chicas cage into the garage or somewhere you don't constantly see it. Trust me, you will never forget, but time will ease the pain. Mourning isn't fun, but it is a part of life alot of us go through, just remember that alot of people are here for you. You're a good person with a big heart that's why it hurts so much. But you will overcome. There will be another baby in your life, take your time.
Godspeed.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Thank you for all the kind messages everyone. My grief is only getting worse

Sorry about your baby. But:

1) unless you deliberately placed her into a harmful situation, it's not your fault.
We all feel that loss when our babies pass away. I felt it, you feel it, others have been right where you are now.

2) pain is pain no matter what brought it on. You'll never have to feel alone here. Even if we don't know exactly what happened, we still know how deep that bond is.

3) grief is like a poison, it taints the way you see, hear, and even such things as how your food tastes. It will dull over time.

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
I'm so very sorry to hear that Chica has passed. My condolences go out to you. It's incredibly hard losing a pet suddenly with no explanation.

Beckyymayy

Nov 30, 2013
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Galah - Nigel
I'm sorry for your loss :( :( I started tearing up reading this because I could imagine how hard it is to lose your bestfriend. Take care of yourself

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I am so deeply saddened to hear of the loss of your lovely Chica. I too have lost a beloved bird, and I am quite familiar with the grief you are feeling. I screamed and screamed, and screamed. I couldn't stop myself. I cried for days. I never, ever call in sick to work- I took a week off. I couldn't eat. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't look at the cage- I couldn't move it either. We buried him in the back yard. I wore his leg band around my neck ( until our other bird chewed the necklace off ). I got his name tattooed on my shoulder...... All of these things, in the process of trying to heal. It was almost a year ago, and he still is in my mind ALL the time. I still cry. I still can't look at photos.
I'm sorry- I do not mean to talk about myself. I just want you to know that there are many people here who do not just sympathize with you, we KNOW what you are going through. I am so so sorry that you have to have these horrible feelings. I was thinking about it earlier today. I guess we are all destined to have them, as it seems that sooner or later, this is a part of being a bird parent......but when I think of all of the joy that they bring us....the happiness and love, and learning we get to share with them....if we have to go through losing them..... I would rather go through it, then to not have that love at all.
When the time is right, you will have another little bird in your life.....there is always room in your heart for another bird- and it doesn't mean Chica isn't there, it just means she has company.

Most Reactions

Latest posts