Lost Another Budgie Today

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I woke up this morning to find Lilibelle, my budgie Rocky's mama, struggling on the floor of her cage. She appeared to have lost the use of her right side. She couldn't perch and could barely walk. She kept chirping quietly and with each chirp she would turn her head to her left and twitch her right wing. Of course it's Sunday and the only vet care available wasn't wirh an avian vet. But it appeared that Lilibelle had suffered a stroke and there wasn't anything that could be done for her other than put her out of her suffering so i brought her to a vet that sees birds on occasion to be put down. I had to do it. She was in such distress. I just wish the stroke had been immediately fatal instead of having her suffer. Strokes can be so cruel like that.

Lilibelle was an exceptionally beautiful girl budgie She was a retired show english budgie- a very large sky blue cinnamon opaline. She gave me Rocky last year and for that I will be forever grateful. Fly free my beautiful Lilibelle! You were much loved.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
I woke up this morning to find Lilibelle, my budgie Rocky's mama, struggling on the floor of her cage. She appeared to have lost the use of her right side. She couldn't perch and could barely walk. She kept chirping quietly and with each chirp she would turn her head to her left and twitch her right wing. Of course it's Sunday and the only vet care available wasn't wirh an avian vet. But it appeared that Lilibelle had suffered a stroke and there wasn't anything that could be done for her other than put her out of her suffering so i brought her to a vet that sees birds on occasion to be put down. I had to do it. She was in such distress. I just wish the stroke had been immediately fatal instead of having her suffer. Strokes can be so cruel like that.

Lilibelle was an exceptionally beautiful girl budgie She was a retired show english budgie- a very large sky blue cinnamon opaline. She gave me Rocky last year and for that I will be forever grateful. Fly free my beautiful Lilibelle! You were much loved.
Rest in peace, Lillibelle!

Very sorry for your loss, You were so kind take her in!
My budgerigar ended up dying in a seizure during the ride to the vets, I got over her death thanks to my other budgerigar, Yuko's singing and interaction from my hand-raised Lovebird, Snowii, after Luna's Passing. Lillibelle and Luna may meet, I wonder what Luna's Reaction will be!

And I'm pretty sure rocky is going to help you get over this loss. Lillibelle gave her to you so that you wouldn't be left with an empty heart after lilli's passing.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I’m so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby 😢. That does indeed sound like a stroke so there’s no doubt you made the right decision to end her suffering. It’s so hard when it’s so sudden and you don’t have time to prepare for it. A little piece of your Lillibelle lives on in Rocky who I know brings great joy to your life. Prayers for all of you as you process this loss. ❤️ and I have no doubt that Lillibelle is joining my Bogey, Peck, and Grant on the other side of rainbow bridge.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby 😢. That does indeed sound like a stroke so there’s no doubt you made the right decision to end her suffering. It’s so hard when it’s so sudden and you don’t have time to prepare for it. A little piece of your Lillibelle lives on in Rocky who I know brings great joy to your life. Prayers for all of you as you process this loss. ❤️ and I have no doubt that Lillibelle is joining my Bogey, Peck, and Grant on the other side of rainbow bridge.
Thank you all for your kind words. It certainly was painful to have her euthanized but more painful for her and us to watch her suffer. Her empty cage sure is tough to look at.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Donna I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Lilibelle, I know that you know you did the right thing in releasing her from pain and confusion. It was the final greatest gift you could have given her, as was the gift of all your love and care that she knew during her life - plus she gave you the most wonderful gift of Rocky too. She went to the Bridge knowing how much she was loved and cared about, and no living soul can ask for more than that. Hugs and prayers for both you and Lilibelle, Donna, she will forever live in your heart 🌈💝

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My condolences Donna.
It can be so cruel how quickly these little birds can go from being happy and playful to being dead. I would of given the bird a bit more of a chance to maybe recover. I'm not comfortable with euthanasia but i understand a person's opinion and decision to euthanize

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My condolences Donna.
It can be so cruel how quickly these little birds can go from being happy and playful to being dead. I would of given the bird a bit more of a chance to maybe recover. I'm not comfortable with euthanasia but i understand a person's opinion and decision to euthanize
If you had seen how bad Lilibelle was, and was getting worse, and was crying out in distress, I think you would have euthanized her too. I've never done it before. I always let nature take it's course but it was obvious that she was not going to improve.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Im just seeing your post! Oh no!! I'm sorry to hear that 😔. Me and Teeko are here ANYTIME! May she rest in peace..you did the right thing! And sometimes the right thing is hard to do. But you will always have us!! And we will make it through ❤️ together! And God knows Rocky loves you!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts