Chico update

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
Hello everyone, I spent a lot of today with Chico on the patio. If you remember I posted on the introduction forum last week.
We had some tortilla chips and he allowed me to give scratches on his head and I let him out to sit on his cage. When I told him to go back into his cage and out I a chip in his bowl he did what I asked him too which I was kinda suprised at. I haven’t gotten him to step up yet. He did fly at my once and land on my arm but didn’t bite and I sat him down on top of his cage again, quickly (I haven’t handled him in a few years so I was freaked)
He has issued a few protective lunges of his cage but we practiced walking back and forth without notice so he knows we are cool and won’t harass him.
We got him to say “hello how are you” (he hasn’t talked very much since mom died, so I guess it’s good so far?
My grandma can reach in and pet him without being bitten but doesn’t take him out to play.
So far we are both a little nervous (me and Chico) but I tried to talk and reconnect a little very slowly. I’m still nervous but I think it will be ok (I hope) lol.
I told me grandma she needed to put him in the carrier tomorrow so it didn’t seem like I was trying to earn his trust just to freak him out.
I was happy to see that she did switch his diet from seeds to pellets, my mom had switched him but I guess I didn’t notice since it was seeds he ate when I was a kid. Wish me luck! Back we go to the coast tomorrow

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
Damn, I’m trying to post a pic but it isn’t working right with my phone. I’ll have to figure this out sooner or later, this website is formatted more for computers I think

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more about Shasta! Safe travels!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Tapatalk is a great phone app and makes posting pics very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sounds like it went well with Chico! You’re on the right track I think, taking your time :). Can’t wait to hear more as it goes....

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Now for my real response! Sounds like you and Chico are off to a solid start. I think him talking to you speaks volumes (pun sort of intended). Can’t wait to see pics and hear more!

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
He’s pretty angry at me now. We got home really late and he flew into the window on the door when I went to get him settled in his cage again after we reassembled it. He flew into the hall and ran into the bathroom. I imagine he was terrified after the long ride home. My son got a little rash from something or another and started crying half way home and Chico started crying with him. Everyone is safe at home now but it was a bumpy trip home (literally the roads up there are terrible)
I got a nice bite and we are both pretty exhausted after our trip.
I gave him a little bit of a peanut butter sandwich and he had a piece of banana but he began biting the old toy he has viciously before accepting the snack when I approached his cage. Now he’s In there chattering and yelling.
I suppose it’s going to take some time. I’m going to do a lot of reading today and try and get back into a normal routine.
Here’s a picture of before we left town. I really hope he doesn’t stay angry with me forever.
I ordered him some toys and I have a book I’m going to read today. This evening when I cook dinner hopefully he won’t seem as aggressive. I plan on giving him some broccoli and maybe some apples and hope he’ll start to realize we just want to be friends and make his life much better than it has been.

Attachments

• 944352AB-78D1-4532-9E71-DD77191156DA.jpg
    944352AB-78D1-4532-9E71-DD77191156DA.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 74

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He is gorgeous!!!! Ofcourse he is scared. Talk and explain to him. Bless you for your long trip and taking him in. When I first worked with my rescue it paid to take time and center myself and visualize a positive outcome, they can read us like a book! If you get frustrated with h for any reason step away and tell yourself be calm, be understanding, be patient, be forgiving and start over ;)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I think in your other post, people posted links to the bonding thread and to the stickies in the Amazon forum. Sit next to Chico’s cage and read these aloud to him. If you can’t find them, just say so and I’ll find them for you if someone else doesn’t beat me to it. Time takes time-you’ll all be okay.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
he will cool off, just give him a few days.

I have 2 birds that like to take out their aggression on toys when they are really mad at ME.

Bingo does this after coming out of the shower with wet hair. He takes one look at me and rips into his toys. It's his way of saying "keep your distance or I will do this to YOU.

Lucky my first Cockatiel does this also. I have a toy hanging just outside his cardboard house door. If I interrupt/disturbed him at a bad time he comes out and give the toy what for. kind o cute I think. Even at it's worst a Cockatiel can't do much damage compared to an Amazon.

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
Thank you guys for the positive responses and encouragement, it means so much, no one I know in daily life knows a thing about these birds and I knew I would need a little help and advice so that’s why I joined this forum. I love Chico I really do and it’s been nagging me for five years that I needed to take him because he wasn’t getting anything from anyone except food and water and the occasional goodnight or goodmorning.
He lost his mom just like I did and now he’s afraid because he’s in a new place with me who he thought would never remove him.
When I remember how much she cared for him and made sure he had toys and playtime out of the cage it makes me feel sad but hopeful we can come back to that. I also feel hopeful because I want to provide all that for him. I know how smart, mischievous and sometimes a little sweet he can be, my buddy is still in there somewhere.
I really do need to center myself and step away when I get my feelings hurt. I don’t feel frustrated with him I just feel frustrated with myself for seeming like a big dumb sister who needs to put myself in his perspective more.
I have been reading the sticky’s but I haven’t had time to read it all yet.
I’ll be working with him and hopefully more pictures soon. It’s alot to bite off and chew but I think I can do this. I often tell people I’ve heard that want a parrot that it’s actually like having a toddler and isn’t all rainbows and pirate ships. Thanks again for the support

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
You are doing great, and I cannot speak for everyone- but I still get frustrated a lot! ;)
(after several decades of living with parrots) and I suspect we are not the only ones.
Just take your time -> you are not going anywhere and neither is Chico.

Keep going :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You are doing great, and I cannot speak for everyone- but I still get frustrated a lot! ;)
(after several decades of living with parrots) and I suspect we are not the only ones.
Just take your time -> you are not going anywhere and neither is Chico.

Keep going :)

CristaNL, lol , that how I know you need to step back and center yourself, I get lots of practice st that :p. But it really makes a difference to put yourself in the right mindspace . These parrots are mind readers! Chico might test you at some point, just to see how you react and if you are good. Once he knows being bad won't lead to him being neglected or left alone in the cage he will really open up. My rescue who wasn't family like yours, really put me through the paces, screaming, biting, food strikes, poop slinging ect. So I had a lot of chances to step away think positive and start over. She improved do rapidly, once she was her worst and saw she could still trust me. She now shyly glances up at me when we are sitting together or I'm giving her treats like she thinks I'm an angel like she can't believe I'm real, really warms my heart. Now instead of biting she pushes my hand away . It is nice:blue1: to have this community, I'm glad you are here

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
I’ve let him out and sometimes I can give him a scratch on the head but I’ve gotten bitten so many times alread. My arms are kinda mutilated. If I try and get him to step up he bites he’ll get on the floor and run to attack me and I get him on my arm and put him in the cage again and I get bitten. I’m confused if I should keep trying or just leave him in the cage for a bit longer. I just want him to know he doesn’t have to be confined to that cage and I plan on setting up perches and things around it. I read to him sing to him and give treats. He lunges at me and attacks his toy when I walk by.
My grandmother told me to leave him alone and just keep feeding and talking to him. Maybe I’m as stubborn as he is. I’m not really afraid of the bites as long as I have some sort of long sleeve on not even a thick sleeve just enough to keep him from tearing my skin completely open. They are starting to hurt even though I have a pretty high pain tolerance (If I didn’t I wouldn’t have attempted to bring him into the house)
I had a budgie once that would bite a lot and I just put up with it until she stopped. She would always bite sometimes but eventually she stopped biting all the time. Amazon bites sure are intense, and he’s a pretty big guy for his species I think. Of course I don’t see amazons around like I used too.

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
Here he is now back in the cage after the daily biting lol. Not sure if we are going to try again out of the cage this evening or not. I don’t think he’s very happy with me at the moment.
Not sure why my pics are always loading sideways oh well, off for now to take some aspirin and try and nurse my hurt arms and pride. Hehehe

Attachments

• 51B78899-5D85-4DAC-8355-16E829EAA048.jpg
    51B78899-5D85-4DAC-8355-16E829EAA048.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 60

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Ahhh the daily biting. How I remember that. My BFA is 35, and has been with me since he was 11 weeks. When he hit puberty, we went through about 5 years of attacks. Could never really pinpoint what the catalyst was, but there was always blood.

You now have a highly intelligent creature that has had his whole world turned upside down. It is important to realize you have done nothing wrong. He must go through this period of upheaval on his own terms. All you can do is be there and support him as well as you can. Never waver in your attention, just protect yourself. Don't try to go too fast and he will eventually realize that you aren't going to hurt him. I asked my vet once why Sam stopped screaming when he did his toes. His reply? He has realized that we aren't going to hurt him and that everything will be ok. That took about 33 years to achieve.

Remember, this bird is highly intelligent. He will realize soon enough that you love him and are there to be his friend. Slow and steady is the way to go with a beak like that! Good luck, and never hesitate to ask questions. We will always be there to help.

OP
N

NickeyG

Sep 23, 2018
Thanks again so much. I don’t know what I would do without the kind words and encouragement from you guys. I’d be a lot more discouraged without it but hearing all these responses has truly given me hope.

Most Reactions

Latest posts