Chili's talking!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
After only being home for a couple weeks, Chili has already picked up a few words! I'm impressed! They're still not *perfect*, but I can tell what he's saying and he practices often- when he thinks he's alone lol. So far he can say:
Hi!
Pretty bird
What?!
Alright (I think- still mumbly)

And I think he's working on a couple more, but I haven't been able to decipher the mumbles lol.

I'm so proud of my little fluff monster :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
GO the Chilster! You need to teach him something from his Australian origins, like 'Bewdy mate' or 'fair dinkum' or 'g'day cobber'. So proud of Chili - and happy for you! :D

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Lol a few days ago hubs said something that ended up mumbled and I said "what?!" and chili said "what?!" and I just looked him in shock. Lol

Trish- i'll work on it ;) lol does Dom talk?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Chili is a very smart baby!!!! You need to put Chili in your Parrots section since he's part of the family now. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
No, Dom doesn't say anything. I wonder whether birds start talking late in life? I wish him a cheery 'Hello' every morning, but so far, nothing.

Fahad.M

Aug 29, 2013
that's really perfect, mine wouldn't talk I have it for 3 weeks I don't know what should I do .!!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
No, Dom doesn't say anything. I wonder whether birds start talking late in life? I wish him a cheery 'Hello' every morning, but so far, nothing.

I'm not sure? That'd be awesome if he just one day said 'hello' back!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
that's really perfect, mine wouldn't talk I have it for 3 weeks I don't know what should I do .!!!

I don't really know the secret to getting them to talk, but even though some 'can' talk, doesn't mean they will.

I don't really have a 'method' other than being repetitive. Lol. Every time I see chili- I say hi. Every morning I always say 'good morning', and bed it's 'time for bed!'.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice has absolutely no interest in human phrases, so we're doing things the other way round. So far I've mastered "arp arp arp" and "pew pew", and am working on "ee oo ee", "cheep", "eep" and the cute little back of the throat whistle she does when she wants a cuddle. She's apparently very pleased with my progress.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Alice has absolutely no interest in human phrases, so we're doing things the other way round. So far I've mastered "arp arp arp" and "pew pew", and am working on "ee oo ee", "cheep", "eep" and the cute little back of the throat whistle she does when she wants a cuddle. She's apparently very pleased with my progress.

hahaha! Nice- alice has you trained well! :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've got a 40 year old amazon that loves noises, but hates to talk. (I've heard her say something exactly once...)

I've got a CAG that started talking while it was still being handfed, and sometimes will not shut up...

You get what you get. They all have their own personalities...

This bird is a candidate for cognitive training if it's talking this young!!! Use language in context around this bird. Teach it words, but show it what the words mean. You might be amazed someday... (Sooner than you expect.)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I've got a 40 year old amazon that loves noises, but hates to talk. (I've heard her say something exactly once...)

I've got a CAG that started talking while it was still being handfed, and sometimes will not shut up...

You get what you get. They all have their own personalities...

This bird is a candidate for cognitive training if it's talking this young!!! Use language in context around this bird. Teach it words, but show it what the words mean. You might be amazed someday... (Sooner than you expect.)

So true! Not every parrot talks even if it "can". I wasn't expecting him to start talking so soon, or ever lol I have a 1.5 yr old toddler who's also learning words and to talk, and I just talk in context, describe things, narrate things, repeat, and speak clearly. So, really it's like having two toddlers now lol they're both messy, get into everything, mischievous, etc.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Go Chili! That must be pretty cute.

Most Reactions