Chipped bottom beak

Toshia wolfe

Aug 30, 2023
Parrots
Plum headed parakeet
I have a plum headed parakeet she's is alittle over a year old and she has always had her wings clipped,but hasn't lately anyways... she Flew into the window and chipped her bottom beak it didn't bleed and she is still eating and chirping and talking should I take her to the vet or maybe wait it out ?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have a plum headed parakeet she's is alittle over a year old and she has always had her wings clipped,but hasn't lately anyways... she Flew into the window and chipped her bottom beak it didn't bleed and she is still eating and chirping and talking should I take her to the vet or maybe wait it out ?

It's great that she is eating, etc, which hopefully means the crack isn't part of the beak that has a lot of nerve endings. However, you still should have it evaluated and possibly repaired or sanded by a vet to prevent further damage, in case there is fracturing in the beak that isn't visible to the eye!

We have a crashy-bird in our house too, and I recently had to put in semi-opaque window cling so he doesn't hurt himself. If this continues to be an issue for you, I would recommend you consider doing the same.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My advice is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to a vet visit. The worst thing that could happen is you get good news and a vet bill! Hope your birdies beakie is ok! Good sign that she’s still eating etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts