Conure flew into window

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I want to start by saying I am on hold waiting to talk to a vet and assess the situation but I wanted another opinion as well. My ggc Kure just got spooked, flew across the room, and flew into a glass door. There seems to be no behavior difference yet. It seemed like she was trying to land past the door so she was slowing as she approached and didn’t have a hard fall as she was already pretty close to the floor. The only injury I can see in on her nose, it seems like the skin got pulled a bit. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Any tips for prevention? This is the only time she’s ever gotten hurt and I’m so worried. I’ve attached a picture of her beak as well.
image.jpg

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Now that I’m looking at the picture her nose doesn’t seem too bad, she had no trouble booping my finger with her beak either so that doesn’t seem to hurt. I’m worried about head trauma though.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Poor baby!! I've had Teeko take quite a hard bump into the door before. Her beak looks okay. It's scary I know! It's good you called a vet! I'd see for any, clues of acting delusional. Or swaying.. or acting different. If shes turning her head most of the time..its the neck that can be scary and fragile..Not putting pressure on feet or foot etc.. but overall what ever the vet tells you will be best! As none of us are licensed vets. But, try to watch over her. I'd say everything will be perfectly alright though. As a bird owner we all are gonna run Into a incident..birds see reflections in glass or see through it. And they don't see the door there. I'd say best bet would try to keep her away from whatever room the door she hit! Best wishes. She look okay! ❤️ she could be a bit stunned by the bump.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Poor baby!! I've had Teeko take quite a hard bump into the door before. Her beak looks okay. It's scary I know! It's good you called a vet! I'd see for any, clues of acting delusional. Or swaying.. or acting different. If shes turning her head most of the time..its the neck that can be scary and fragile..Not putting pressure on feet or foot etc.. but overall what ever the vet tells you will be best! As none of us are licensed vets. But, try to watch over her. I'd say everything will be perfectly alright though. As a bird owner we all are gonna run Into a incident..birds see reflections in glass or see through it. And they don't see the door there. I'd say best bet would try to keep her away from whatever room the door she hit! Best wishes. She look okay! ❤️ she could be a bit stunned by the bump.
Thank you so much, she seems to be unaffected, from how I described her the vet said just to watch her and bring her in if she shows any signs of discomfort. She wanted me to preen her and was turning her head all around so her neck seems ok too. Thank you again, I don’t have anyone nearby who knows birds so this is always the first place I turn to.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Thank you so much, she seems to be unaffected, from how I described her the vet said just to watch her and bring her in if she shows any signs of discomfort. She wanted me to preen her and was turning her head all around so her neck seems ok too. Thank you again, I don’t have anyone nearby who knows birds so this is always the first place I turn to.
Absolutely you cant help to be a over protective parent for the little ones.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
For the future... somebody told me a long time ago to take your bird around and let it tap/inspect all surfaces, especially windows, so that they learn what NOT to fly into... here's the Rb giving a tutorial.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Always so scary! Ona has flown into a glass door a couple of times in the past :( She usually goes into shock afterward and has to be put in her cage covered for about half an hour to recover. I’m glad your baby seems to be doing ok. Good work checking with the vet.

It does help to show them the glass and let them tap their beak on it. Window coverings or decals are also worth looking into. I finally put a large decal over the glass pane Ona always flew into.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
For the future... somebody told me a long time ago to take your bird around and let it tap/inspect all surfaces, especially windows, so that they learn what NOT to fly into... here's the Rb giving a tutorial.
Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to work on it with her.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Always so scary! Ona has flown into a glass door a couple of times in the past :( She usually goes into shock afterward and has to be put in her cage covered for about half an hour to recover. I’m glad your baby seems to be doing ok. Good work checking with the vet.

It does help to show them the glass and let them tap their beak on it. Window coverings or decals are also worth looking into. I finally put a large decal over the glass pane Ona always flew into.
Yeah, it’s confusing cause there was a large strip of blue painters tape across the door, I’m not sure how she didn’t see that. She also chose the farthest window to go for 🤦‍♀️.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Yeah. And also, birds "conures" In particular can become panicked by noises that scare them. And they can fly Into a frenzy and easily hit a door or wall..sometimes it's a scary thing. 😨

DenaLea

Jan 9, 2024
Parrots
1 Yellow naped Amazon
1 Black-faced Fischer Lovebird
2 Violet Lovebirds
My 6 year old Amazon Lola has flown into the double glass doors many times and walls too. She always seems to be dazed and confused for a moment and then walks back to her cage and acts like nothing ever happened and starts talking away as usual, while I’m in shock and frantic.
We have 2 homes we travel back and forth to and the 2nd home she never runs into anything.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Conures are hardy, I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you see weird behavior.... Birds fly into things all the time, they wouldn't be around for 65 million years if they weren't resiliant.

But.....if you see anything odd,, get thatt vet check.

Most Reactions

Latest posts