Christmas with the fids

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
So just asking out of curiosity and it may get some funny stories rolling

How do you all tackle the holidays with your feathered compatriots?

Mainly things like Trees, not sure which type the states manly use (real or artificial) but naturally we don't want our fids chewing on them and chewing decorations (lights!)

Mainly interested by also taking a couple notes for any future masters of the house!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Oh gosh GOOD QUESTION! This will be my first Christmas with Syd and I hadn't even given that a thought. Don't say I need to go without Christmas tree, presents, lights - I couldn't bear it!

I guess I need to either banish myself and Christmas to one safe room or Syd. What a choice!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting subject, especially the Christmas Tree. It is important to remember that there are four very different events that occurs around the entire cycle of a Christmas Tree!

1. We have seen lots of different variations regarding the reaction of our different Amazons to the complete process of the home layout changing in advance of the setting-up of the Tree, the decoration of the Tree and the level of interest and no interest in the Tree's taking over prior Amazon owned territory!

2. The day that pretty and well wrapped presents fill-in under and around the Tree

3. The day that all those pretty and well wrapped presents are opened and especially those specific presents that belong to a very special Amazon!

4. And of course, the couple of days that the home returns to its more commonly configuration.

Each provide wonderous stories of the Life of an Amazon!!!

More later!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
None of the parrots I've been around have cared much about holiday decor. Kiwi could give a poop less about our tree (artificial and kind of "retro" made of light green tinsel:)). He is neither afraid nor interested in it. I have gotten pics of him under it a few times and tries to get him to hold a candy cane or plastic ornament or other "cute" photo, but he is typically non-compliant and just wants to go back to his area. My moms DYH likes to sit under their tree (also artificial, but more lifelike) but never bothers ornaments or gifts. She was a wild caught so maybe a tree holds more interest for her than it does Kiwi? The only things Kiwi likes about the holidays are the baked goods:rolleyes: And though he is usually far more naughty than nice, Santa talons still always seems to leave a gift (or 20) for him under the tree:16::green:

Curious, are real or artificial trees more common in the UK? I know some people must do real trees here in the US because there's always a bunch for sale in parking lots everywhere, but everyone I know has an artificial tree and reuses them year after year. Basically a once or twice in a lifetime purchase. My parents and MIL both have 30-40+ y/o artificial trees that still go up, and besides not being as realistic as new ones, they are still stable and look decent once decorated.

Last edited:
OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I think over here we more use artificial

at least I will be. My dad uses real trees though

Most Reactions