Cigarette smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Hmm...I personally would have argued with her until she gave me my money back. She doesn't seem like the kind of person that would be pleasant to deal with, and that you mentioned she was pushy and you felt better about the other breeder also adds to that. If you do get that baby, make sure to take it to the vet right away.

Would they usually give your money back if you argued with them? I felt like she would have just ended up ignoring me if I kept emailing or calling her. I'll maek sure the bird sees a vet asap!

Any responsible breeder should be more than willing to give your deposit back. Not nice at all! I am sorry you had to get her bird. I pray everything goes well for you.

Thanks! I hope all goes well too. But she seemed pretty healthy when I saw her. Hopefully that is the case.
I personally got my Tori from Petsmart, but any reasonable person would give back a deposit if you choose not to purchase their bird, especially because of something like that. Unless you signed a contract with her that says you won't be getting your deposit back, she should give it back if you ask for it. My personality is a bit outspoken, so if I had asked and she said no, I would have continued to pester her about it. I certainly wouldn't complete the purchase.

Yeah that's true. I don't understand why breeders have "non-refundable deposits" in the first place, especially when the deposit is half the price of the bird, and in my case, $10 more than half the price because I didn't have a $10 bill. But this baby is really quiet and my mom really likes her too, so I guess it'll be okay.

Oops... I didn't read second page before posting. I would make her give your money back.

I've never done anything like that before though, and I know $25 isn't much more. If I had $25 more I would definitely pick the probable-healthier one, but that breeder said she would drop the $25 for me anyway. But the thing is, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes up to standing up to adults (I'm only 15 lol) and I did send an angry email, but then she didn't respond so I gave in :(. But I think it'll be okay.

-------------------------------
I'm starting to doubt that she smokes at all because I only smelled a little and I don't think it was coming from her, and also I don't know if the baby's tail was really grey. My mom just said so, but I didn't notice (I didn't really look) and I think if the baby had nicotine and tar in her feathers, it would be more on her body than her tail, and I didn't notice anything wrong. Aren't sun conures' tails a little less colorful than their bodies anyway? My mom exaggerates things sometimes. I think I would have noticed if the baby had a grey tail. Also, I think the breeder seemed a bit pushy in the beginning, but when you're selling things and you get not-serious buyers, it's frustrating! So I think she just wanted to make sure I was a serious buyer. After that, she was actually pretty nice. Maybe the typing in caps thing was something with whatever device she was using the email me back on. I know that when I respond to emails from my ipod touch, the receiver sees the message in a different font. Some people just type in all caps. I've seen it in Youtube comments, Yahoo Answers, online ads, everything. So maybe it's just a habit, or maybe it's easier for her to read (some people type in caps for that reason lol). I think the baby should be fine. I also talked to another sun conure breeder who lives in Australia, and she smokes, but she has never had any problems with any of her babies. She always made sure to wash her hands after a smoke, and vets never found anything wrong with her babies' development or anything. If the baby had incompletely developed lungs, I would have heard something right? Like wheezing or loud breathing? She sounded and looked very healthy to me.

I guess it's hard to explain everything, but I'll post pictures when I get her (hopefully Saturday!) and you guys can tell me if you think she looks healthy :).

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
no offense and I am new here and a total animal lover. But if you do not have an extra $25 dollars, I dont think you should be purchasing any animal in general unless it is a goldfish. We recently brought home a 5 week old which is now 8 weeks and I lost count on the money we have spent between making sure we have stock of formula, toys, a swing, the cage, wee wee pads, heating pad, nesting materials, thermometers, scale, laundry has been at an all time high under this roof, and the list goes on. and the reminder of a vet visit immediately when bringing the baby home and upkeep on that. god forbid an emergency visit is in need, what will you do if you do not have $25 let alone at least 60 bucks simply for a cheap visit not including whats recommended after that.

I just think you need to think ahead. Please dont take this the wrong way but I look at it the same as getting a house. you dont sign a lease if you cant afford the rent. though breeders should do the same to make sure the animals are financially secure since nothing is free in this world.

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
no offense and I am new here and a total animal lover. But if you do not have an extra $25 dollars, I dont think you should be purchasing any animal in general unless it is a goldfish. We recently brought home a 5 week old which is now 8 weeks and I lost count on the money we have spent between making sure we have stock of formula, toys, a swing, the cage, wee wee pads, heating pad, nesting materials, thermometers, scale, laundry has been at an all time high under this roof, and the list goes on. and the reminder of a vet visit immediately when bringing the baby home and upkeep on that. god forbid an emergency visit is in need, what will you do if you do not have $25 let alone at least 60 bucks simply for a cheap visit not including whats recommended after that.

I just think you need to think ahead. Please dont take this the wrong way but I look at it the same as getting a house. you dont sign a lease if you cant afford the rent. though breeders should do the same to make sure the animals are financially secure since nothing is free in this world.

I'm just in charge of the bird, its toys, and its food. My parents pay for vet visits. I get paid at the end of every month, but I spent this month's money early (bad habit and I'm breaking it now) so I'm not getting paid again till the end of next month.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
ticklemebink,

Doesn't that show you what some good breeders go through raising these babies? I've been there done that and now doing it all over again once my Cockatiel's eggs hatch....Which I did not plan on it, but it just happened cause it's nature....So far she laid 5 eggs, the fifth one this Monday night so can't tell if it's fertile yet, but the other 4 is all fertile. They will be hatching soon so I have to get syringes, formula, etc etc. I'm not getting them until they hatch so I know for sure. I work near by a pet shop so I can stop in anytime to pick those stuffs up....It's gonna be a fun month coming up real soon....

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Would they usually give your money back if you argued with them? I felt like she would have just ended up ignoring me if I kept emailing or calling her. I'll maek sure the bird sees a vet asap!

Thanks! I hope all goes well too. But she seemed pretty healthy when I saw her. Hopefully that is the case.
I personally got my Tori from Petsmart, but any reasonable person would give back a deposit if you choose not to purchase their bird, especially because of something like that. Unless you signed a contract with her that says you won't be getting your deposit back, she should give it back if you ask for it. My personality is a bit outspoken, so if I had asked and she said no, I would have continued to pester her about it. I certainly wouldn't complete the purchase.

Yeah that's true. I don't understand why breeders have "non-refundable deposits" in the first place, especially when the deposit is half the price of the bird, and in my case, $10 more than half the price because I didn't have a $10 bill. But this baby is really quiet and my mom really likes her too, so I guess it'll be okay.

Aah, there lies the difference. Being much younger than the person you're arguing with can make it more daunting. Just keep in mind that its good business. Age shouldn't be a reason to let someone push you around. ^_^

As far as being pushy to make sure you're a serious buyer. . . Thats not really how she should go about it. I've attempted to sell plenty of things, and I agree it can be a bit warring when you put all you have into trying to make a sale and the customer says "No thanks" but thats not excuse to be pushy or rude. I hope all goes well with your baby!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Boo, after all this that you went through to get - or not get this baby, all the worries, confusion and doubts and that she does not want to allow you to change your mind tells me that this baby is meant for you.;)

He is sent to you and you both are going to have a wonderful life together regardless of any health issues that might arise. If there are any issues then it will only make you stronger and bring you two closer together. I feel positive about this adoption and I know you will do an outstanding job because your paths crossed for a reason.:D

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Boo, after all this that you went through to get - or not get this baby, all the worries, confusion and doubts and that she does not want to allow you to change your mind tells me that this baby is meant for you.;)

He is sent to you and you both are going to have a wonderful life together regardless of any health issues that might arise. If there are any issues then it will only make you stronger and bring you two closer together. I feel positive about this adoption and I know you will do an outstanding job because your paths crossed for a reason.:D

Thats a good way to look at it! :)

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Lucky you :) Just make sure your parents know what they are in for.

Aah, there lies the difference. Being much younger than the person you're arguing with can make it more daunting. Just keep in mind that its good business. Age shouldn't be a reason to let someone push you around. ^_^

As far as being pushy to make sure you're a serious buyer. . . Thats not really how she should go about it. I've attempted to sell plenty of things, and I agree it can be a bit warring when you put all you have into trying to make a sale and the customer says "No thanks" but thats not excuse to be pushy or rude. I hope all goes well with your baby!

Thanks! And I completely agree with you! You can't look down on someone and think less of them just because they're younger than you. But I didn't want trouble, and I thought fighting for my money would have made it worse I just had that feeling. Plus, I really do love that bird! :)

Thanks so much for the support! I hope all does go well, and I think that any bird that I get can have health issues. If it really is that she has built a tolerance to smoke, then more power to her! You never know who we might run into that smokes - maybe a neighbor in our condo when I go to college, and if it doesn't affect her as much as it would another bird, then it must be a good thing :). I guess it's like the saying, "If you love her, let her go. If she returns (or in my case, 'if you can't even get rid of her' :p) then she's yours!" So maybe we were meant for each other :). We definitely clicked when we met.

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
"If you love her, let her go. If she returns (or in my case, 'if you can't even get rid of her' :p) then she's yours!"

HAHAHA!!! So when do you get to bring the little one home?

Lol!! I'm hoping tomorrow and I called the breeder at around 4-5ish today and I think she was busy because she told me she'd call me back in an hour and she didn't. Then I called her at around 8 because I went out, and she didn't pick up. So I'm just going to call her tomorrow and see what's up. Hopefully she's back and everything is okay with her family! And I'm sosososososo ready to get my birdie :(. I've been waiting two long weeks and my excitement has gone up and been brought down SO many times due to unexpected, last-minute changes. And now I really REALLY want to bring her home.

jusdeb

Feb 16, 2011
Seems strange that you were not invited into the house . Just because she has a big turnover of birds doesnt mean she is caring , quite often breeders think crop feeding is the best way to hand rear , it is quick easy and clean but it doesnt teach the birds social skills .
On the other hand she may be keeping strangers out of the house as a means of security if she has so many birds .
Really I would want to see where they were being housed and in what conditions .
The breeder has every right to smoke cigarettes however you would want to be sure the birds are not raised in a house full of second hand smoke , even though I think that yes the chances of health problems in that short amount of time would be unlikely.
So my point is .... this is a hard one to work out , if you feel the bird was Ok and you want it then by all means go for it , get the vet check in under 2 weeks and take it from there , any new pet bird should have a vet check anyway .:orange:

Last edited:
OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Seems strange that you were not invited into the house . Just because she has a big turnover of birds doesnt mean she is caring , quite often breeders think crop feeding is the best way to hand rear , it is quick easy and clean but it doesnt teach the birds social skills .
On the other hand she may be keeping strangers out of the house as a means of security if she has so many birds .
Really I would want to see where they were being housed and in what conditions .
The breeder has every right to smoke cigarettes however you would want to be sure the birds are not raised in a house full of second hand smoke , even though I think that yes the chances of health problems in that short amount of time would be unlikely.
So my point is .... this is a hard one to work out , if you feel the bird was Ok and you want it then by all means go for it , get the vet check in under 2 weeks and go on their advice .

She said that her bigrds have their own room in the house, and are usually out of their cages so they can fly around. Sounds a little risky to me, since she has birds of all sizes, and I've heard of a macaw ripping off another bird's beak before. But if she doesn't want me to go in her house, I completely respect that. If it were me, I probably would have just arranged to meet somewhere because I wouldn't trust a stranger either :p. She doesn't live in a great area, so I think she has a right to be cautious. I think the baby is fine, and I will check with a vet asap :). Thanks for the advice!

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
ticklemebink,

Doesn't that show you what some good breeders go through raising these babies? I've been there done that and now doing it all over again once my Cockatiel's eggs hatch....Which I did not plan on it, but it just happened cause it's nature....So far she laid 5 eggs, the fifth one this Monday night so can't tell if it's fertile yet, but the other 4 is all fertile. They will be hatching soon so I have to get syringes, formula, etc etc. I'm not getting them until they hatch so I know for sure. I work near by a pet shop so I can stop in anytime to pick those stuffs up....It's gonna be a fun month coming up real soon....

sorry for the late response. but YES.. I honestly never thought about it till I put my own list down on this thread lol Im actually searching out a produce deliver service so I can mke sure I have whats needed on a daily basis. and in soon time ill be heading to the sunflower market to fill up a big tub of all the beans and stuff for the food mix so I can have stock in that also. I just hate having to run to the store all the time.

as for your eggs.. geez more power to ya. i know how stressed I am with my lil guy. He turns 9 weeks old tomorrow :)

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
So my point is .... this is a hard one to work out , if you feel the bird was Ok and you want it then by all means go for it , get the vet check in under 2 weeks and go on their advice .

She said that her bigrds have their own room in the house, and are usually out of their cages so they can fly around. Sounds a little risky to me, since she has birds of all sizes, and I've heard of a macaw ripping off another bird's beak before. But if she doesn't want me to go in her house, I completely respect that. If it were me, I probably would have just arranged to meet somewhere because I wouldn't trust a stranger either :p. She doesn't live in a great area, so I think she has a right to be cautious. I think the baby is fine, and I will check with a vet asap :). Thanks for the advice!

when I picked up my bird it was from the guys house. he does run a couple aviaries but he does not allow people in there for health reasons.:red1:

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011

when I picked up my bird it was from the guys house. he does run a couple aviaries but he does not allow people in there for health reasons.:red1:

Well that makes sense :). But the second time I went to the breeder's house (don't know if you saw my newest thread with the update) the lady did let me in, and it definitely smelled like drugs in there. Maybe not nicotine or cigarettes, but definitely some sort of drug. When she breathed, she was also wheezing pretty bad. I wish it was just for health reasons. :mad:

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Good luck with you baby sunny boo.Have you gotten her yet? and wow, Now i dont feel like the only young one here lol (im 16)

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Good luck with you baby sunny boo.Have you gotten her yet? and wow, Now i dont feel like the only young one here lol (im 16)

No I haven't :(. I made a new thread titled "Large rant... something something Meyer's parrots" with the update. Not good news! And wow, you're only a year older than me! I turn 16 this summer :p. Now I don't feel like the only young one here either lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions