Cigarette smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

akparrots

Mar 16, 2011
As a breeder I will say you will not be invited into my breeder area of my home, any disruption is very unwelcome in that area. However you will get into the area where our pets and babies live to choose your pet. As far as smoke being harmful to your baby I say not unless she was living in a cloud of it which if she is as caring as you say is unlikely. Any new baby should have a wellness checkup done by its new owner, if you cannot afford that you should wait untill you can. The baby will be fine in all likelyhood

redwidow2617

Mar 17, 2011
texas
Parrots
Cootie: special needs sun conure
I recently "kidnapped" my sun conure from my sisters home. They had her cage next to an ashtray, this bird is two years old, and so far has passed every test the vet has given her with flying colors, is it good for her no. But she will survive and probably be very healthy. You have to remember, in humans who smoke, after a few years most of the tar buildup in the lungs is gone and within 10 you can hardly tell (granted this depends on how much and how often). So if she seems to like you and you have a two week gaurantee, i dont see any reason for you to leave her there, because the lady smoked around her for the first 9 weeks of life. There are human infants to this day raised around second hand smoke, they dont get cancer, or die, the body (especially young ones) have an absolutely amazing ability to heal. Don't sweat it.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you guys have any idea how fragile birds can be? A lot of cleaning supplies fumes and other fumes may not hurt a human much, but enough to kill a bird instantly! A friend was doing soldering in his garage not too far from the bird room. His 2 sun conures died pretty quickly just from him coming in from the garage.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I guess people that take risks with environmental toxins will be very sorry when they find their bird laying dead or dying in the bottom of the cage. MikeyTN you are so right about the bird's respiratory system being fragile. Just study the anatomy!!
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2721 There is just no way one can compare the effects of cigarette smoke on a human, be it a baby or adult, and a bird. Just the nicotine from a smokers hands getting on the feathers is dangerous.

http://zachary.avianavenue.com/BirdSafety.html I am going to bug out of this debate because people are going to do what they do no matter what is out there in the way of experience and education. Personally if I could not go into a breeders home, with protection for the birds, I would not purchase there. I would never buy a bird that has been exposed to nicotine.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I was afraid to even lit a candle until I find out it was ok around them. We don't use any pesticide, air fresheners, etc inside the house nor outside cause we have dogs, wild birds, lizards, etc that comes to visit my garden. Trying to use all natural products period. Anyone who tries to compare a birds' lungs to a human don't know much about birds. You need to study them more before attempting to own one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions