Clover's vet trip

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I called the local vet office and there is a lady who sees birds (she has a conure too). The vet said she is healthy and showed me some red feathers were comeing in on her head. She wants Clover to gain a little weight (but she also said some young birds can be a little on the lean side). She eats Zupreem natural pellets, and Kaytee Forti-Diet ProHealth seeds. I have not changed her diet since I got her. Can I flavor her pellets to make them more tempting? How much seed should she be eating? I do not want her to become a seed junky. I bought some cooked food from the mysafebirdstore that she willl eat. She eats apples and bananas. We ate carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, and cherry tomatoes for a snack (I had her watch me eat some and gave her her cut up portions). What can I do to get her to gain a little weight?

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Abigal, just keep on doing what you are doing...it's right...though, if you want to be more exact, you can reduce seed to between 20 & 30 percent of her diet.

Also, she can eat banana skins & all of the apple too, including the seeds.....

lmwilson428

Feb 3, 2013
Media
Lowell, IN
Parrots
Sun Conure
My conure absolutely loves grapes, cherrio's, and almonds! He also likes corn, peas, and zucchini a lot. My conure has been sick so I have really been watching his weight and encouraging him to eat. We started him on Exact rainbow pellets, he seems to prefer those to his natural pellets. I have also added apple juice, water, or baby food on his pellets to make it more interesting.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
If clover is not big on fresh produce, get her started on red bell pepper/jalapeno. My bird is big on sliced apples, bananas, green peas, and actual red bell pepper. Try corn on the cob as well.

You can entice him to eat his pellets by adding natural fruit juice to it. I add frozen rasperry to his pellet dish sometimes, and it naturally turns juicy and saturates the pellets that way.

Kreegan

Jan 28, 2013
Abigal, just keep on doing what you are doing...it's right...though, if you want to be more exact, you can reduce seed to between 20 & 30 percent of her diet.

Everything I have read says apple seeds are a strict no no...

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

I have poured apple juice onto the pellets and Clover seems to be eating pellets better. I bought a digital scale that you weigh food on and today it weighs her at 62 grams. She will be going back to the vets and I will update on how that goes.

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi - Cinnamon GCC R.I.P. :(
Yogi - Normal GCC

Apple seeds are toxic to conures.

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

Clover is at a healthy normal weight. We went to the vets and right now I am worried. The vet thinks Clover has fungus on her feet and gave me some medicine with a dropper to put a drop at the infected nail area twice a day. I feel bad because I think the rope perch must have still been wet someplace on it (when I took it out to clean it). Cross your fingers that Clover makes a quick recovery. She is molting and growing new feathers. And the upside is she is eating and drinking and does not go at the bottom of the cage

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Sending good vibers to you and Clover!

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

Good news the medicine is working. The feet have cleared up nicely there is now only a couple of areas on the feet that I have to apply the medicine on.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Glad to hear it! Did the vet tell you how he got the fungus?

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

The vet asked me about my bird's perches. I did tell her that I recently washed the rope perch and the vet says if the perch was wet anywhere that would cause it and be a breeding ground for bacteria. She recommended different perch sizes and to double check that the perch is all the way dry. I bought a bigger rope perch (a comfy perch) and plan on ordering some nice wooden perches from mysafebirdstore. I now run the rope perches in the washer and dryer (like I do her little happy bird hut).

Most Reactions