Cockatiel beak looks weird...

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
UPDATE:

So, she has stopped plucking as much because the vet recommended a topical anti-picking lotion typically marketed to chickens that, per my vet is safe for parrots. It worked! there's even signs of regrowth happening.

We were great until this morning, when I noticed her having trouble hanging onto her perch, and bringing up food from her crop.

I have an emergency visit tomorrow to see what's up.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That’s a problem with the preen gland! They can get an infection there, I’d say needs vet visit. It can also be do to a lack of vitamin A in the diet, feed veggies, feed cooked sweet potatoes, peppers .. but I think that need an avian vet visit if the preen gland is infected sbd it sure looks like it is, sometimes they are blocked... you can do a warm compress, soak a wash cloth in hot water ring it out and make sure not to hot and hold on that spot, fir a few minutes, a few times a day...... really tho the first step is an avian vet, MSU need antibiotics, or anti fungal treatment, they can flush the gland to

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
Frida passed away last night. Vet and I spoke this morning and he said it's unlikely she could have been saved even if I'd brought her to a night vet...I will get the results of the necropsy on the 10th.

I will also be bringing Homer in for a general wellness check.

I'm so sad. I feel like I tried everything.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh honey I’m so sorry!! Such sad news... we love em we try so hard it hurts so much to loose them... I hope the necropsy provides answers

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this! We know you did everything you could to help her, please don't forget that. It is heartbreaking when we lose one of our fids. So many of us here understand that all too well, unfortunately. I do hope the necropsy provides you some reason so you might make sense of it all. Warm hugs to you.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
Sorry to hear about Frida. Sending you hugs!

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
Thanks everyone.

I guess this goes to show...really small things can be a big deal with birds. I'll let you guys know what the necropsy results are when I get them to help us all keep our birds healthier <3

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
u​
Thanks everyone.

I guess this goes to show...really small things can be a big deal with birds. I'll let you guys know what the necropsy results are when I get them to help us all keep our birds healthier <3

That’s a wonderful way to honor his life. Sharing info will help many other parrots and us people trying to keep them healthy.

Yiu are being very strong , hugs to yiu

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
Results: Frida had undiagnosed metastatic cancer.

An xray or other imaging test would have caught it, but there would not have been any way to treat it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm so sorry, but also very glad that you can't blame yourself with this sort of diagnosis. Glad she had a very loving home, and hope you heal.

Most Reactions