Cockatiel Cage and Accessories? What all do I need for my Cockatiel?

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
Awesome thanks guys! So if you have a clipped cockatiel, how high or far would it be able to fly? The ones at the breeders just glide to the floor when they try to fly away...how often do you have to clip their wings?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Depending on what type of clipping it was done, on the gliding clip you can not take them outside what so ever without a harness, they will take off!!! With a gush of wind, you'd be surprised how high they will go. You shouldn't need to clip unless they flop and the clipped feathers falls off and grows back. You should only clip when it's not a blood feather anymore. Another time would be after molting when they replace all their feathers with new ones, after they're not blood feathers anymore, then you can clip them. When it's blood feather, it's very easy to tell as you'll see the shaft of the feathers are red with blood in it. IF they ever break it open on their own, best to just yank it out otherwise it will keep bleeding, it can stop but not suggested! IF you can't tell which one, use corn starch or flour and dump a bunch on where you see the blood coming from to stop the bleeding. But you do need to observe further to find out which blood feather that was broken and yank it, cause they can always break it open again and cause more bleeding. IF your unable to do it, find a avian vet to do it for you. Once the feather is fully grown, the shaft will turn clear to white in color, that's when it's not a blood feather anymore and safe to clip.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
So if I keep them inside only, should I ever need to have his wings clipped?

Clipping wings is a very controversial debate. Many people believe that clipping the wings should not be done. Personally, I do have my Tango's wings clipped. I believe it should be up to the guardian on whether to clip or not. When Tango does try to fly, he just glides to the floor. With younger tiels, they could seriously hurt themselves, sometimes fatal if they fly into a window or other hard objects. One thing I do recommend is that you have an avian vet. :white1:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Likewise, clipping a cockatiel removes their ability to control *where* they fly. They might be more likely to fly into walls and windows rather than be able to avoid them.

There are pros and cons to both clipping and allowing the bird flight. IMO, if you want to clip your bird, it should not be done any earlier than 6 months in age, if not at a year old. Clipping a birds flights before they wean or at a really young age can potentially be like neutering a dog before he matures. A dog still in tact at a year old is likely to mature differently than a dog that was neutered at a much younger age. Not only is it a physical thing, it's also a mental thing. Although flighted birds are likely to fly farther than a clipped bird, clipped birds are in higher danger of getting stuck in trash cans, toilet bowels, bathtubs and also in greater danger from predatory animals on the ground (think, cats, dogs, ferrets).

Here's a website that talks about the pros and cons of clipping vs flight.
Should you clip your parrot

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
Wow I do not know if I should clip the wings or not...I think that if I am going to keep it inside all the time and be very cautious about things like pots, toilets, etc. that they could get stuck in it would be fine being flighted, plus I have 3 dogs so if one tries to attack it it could fly away...but I'm still not sure...what do you all recommend?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
IF the bird is tamed down to begin with and doesn't fly around like mad, then there's really no need to clip if kept inside. But that's a individual choice to make. I keep mine flighted inside the house. They all fly pretty good to get around. Sometimes some will try to take off if you try to go catch them, that's when I really suggest them to be clipped to really help you with the training. Then allow to grow back during the molt if you want them to be flighted. It really depends on the individual bird. Like my Nico, never had to clip her as she doesn't leave my side at all. She would take a spin around but always come back. I would NOT suggest to have the dogs in the same room even if the bird is flighted while the bird is out. Dogs are able to catch them in the mid-air by jumping up to grab them. It's pretty much their natural instinct. I usually do clip the babies before they leave me, it really make things a lot easier for a new owner. As all of them asked me to clip anyways. I give them all the info they need to understand to clip or not to clip. So far everyone have been pretty happy. I personally don't like to clip my birds but I will IF it's necessary. With all the adult birds that came to me, I only had to do it to one cause he goes berserk if he gets out and it's almost impossible to catch him, after I clipped him I was able to perch train him since he hated hands to begin with and will chump down and won't let go, draw blood 100% every time, now he will step onto fingers. He's grown them back since then and he will still step up for me to put him back in the cage without a hassle.

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
I think I will just let them grow out and if I do have any issues with training, etc. I could clip them...how long do they take to grow back?

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
I think I will just let them grow out and if I do have any issues with training, etc. I could clip them...how long do they take to grow back?

Depends on when your tiel is going to molt. When I brought Tango home last April, the breeder did clip him. He started a molt around August on he was flying around like the red baron by September. I do not plan on having his wings trimmed again until summer time. I like keeping my windows open during the summer for fresh air and my concern is someone going in and out the door. I would hate to see my little guy fly out the door.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You'll see a ton of feathers on the bottom of the cage and the bird looks kinda rough with pin feathers here and there. They can be quite cranky too during molting.

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
Oh ok thanks! I ordered a cage and toys Sunday, can't wait for it to get here and set it all up :)

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
How do you know when it is molting?

Oh you will know when they molt. They actually lose feathers and the new ones grow in. You will notice your cockatiel preening a lot. Your cockatiel may get cranky during a molt. Tango's last molt lasted well over a month. I suggest during a molt, you give your tiel a bath. It helps soothe the incoming feathers and also helps tone down the dander they produce. Tango gets a bath at least a couple times a month. He actually goes into the shower with my other half. He loves it. Not all cockatiels like bath's. If the shower doesn't work, try misting it's body with a water bottle.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You can either mist with a water bottle or take in shower with you if they're adjusted to be in the shower with you.

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
Interesting, thanks! The cage and toys came today, still have no word from the breeder :(

OP
Y

Yellow_Tang04

Feb 14, 2013
I got the cage and all the toys set up! It seems a bit crowded in there, I will post pics later...

Most Reactions

Latest posts