Cockatiel - Mutation Help

OP
K

kyva

Apr 23, 2014
Doylestown PA
Thanks so much, Monica.

I can't tell on the spots just yet since he's clipped, but I plan on letting the feathers grow out.

I do have a question though. His talons are very long and sharp. However, the quick is almost as long. Once he gets a little older, will the quicks shorten so I can clip his claws a bit?

They're currently clear, not sure if that makes a difference as I'm used to having a grey tiel with grey caws.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The quicks may shorten with frequent but short nail trimmings. That is, trim a tiny little bit but don't trim into the quick. In a week or two, try taking a little more off. Keep repeating this until the nails are at a good length.

It's better working with clear nails than it is dark ones! :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Ditto on the pied! I would say that Rye is a light pied! (not too many areas that are clear/yellow - Rye is more grey than yellow)

As mentioned, there is no way to visually sex pieds via their facial feathers. My two pied hens (pied and cinnamon pearl pied) both have clear faces, and both lay eggs! What you need to watch for is the bars on the tail and rump feathers (staying if female, disappearing if male) and spots in flight feathers (males will lose spots, females keep spots on the outer primaries). However, I've heard that even this isn't always accurate in pieds!

Yes it is a light pied! There's just too many mutations to keep up....lol....I do have a heavy pied baby right now though.....

OP
K

kyva

Apr 23, 2014
Doylestown PA
Thanks so much Monica for the advice on the nails. I wasn't sure what would be safe, so I haven't touched them yet.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Most Reactions

Latest posts