Cockatiel obsessed with self love - can I retrain him?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Do you feed any fresh foods, veggies/fruits?

My other suggestion in terms of a distraction is a food Kabob with carrot on for example even if they don't eat it, it may use some time up to destroy it?

He won't eat anything but walmart bird seed. I'm working on switching his diet, but he's scared of new foods.

Is it normal to have the hormones last for two years? Everyone says "This time around" but it's not something that comes and goes with the seasons. He's this way rain, snow, sun, hail, winter, summer. It does get a LOT worse when he's tired/cranky.

I'll try all your suggestions and see what works/what didn't work! :) With luck I can at least get him to slow down a bit. If not, I guess I just have to accept that he's fantastic the way he is. And he'd be great for a breeder. :p

A diet of bird seed may be a significant cause of the issues. This is the equivalent of you eating fast food burgers, fries, tacos, wings, etc. At the very least your tiel is lacking the nutrition for health and longevity.

Terry's link will be a big help. Birds are flock animals, and you are part of the flock..... so fix a plate of veggies and fruit for yourself and a separate bowl for your Giles. Make a fuss over that delicious bean, piece of kale, chunk of yam, etc. Don't be deterred by much dumping as it may take a while to overcome the yearning for seed. Whenever I provide "chop" (veggies and fruits) the seed bowl disappears.

Good luck, and keep us advised of progress!!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Well, the experts think there's a link. And that IS the standard rule. And that is the argument that supports it.

I've just always questioned/wondered if it's a valid observation.

Maggie made a nest out of shredded towels in my closet. Sweepea, Tusk, and Lila have all made nests on their playtops with the phone book. Lila and Tusk have also made one under the cage. Sallybird's playstand IS her nest... AND SHE WILL DEFEND IT IF ANOTHER AMAZON EVEN LOOKS AT IT CROSS-EYED... [Trust me, THEY DON'T!!! Off limits. Claimed. Not mine!] The birds themselves have solved the "bad behavior" associated with the problem.

I have never really seen a causal relationship between nest building materials and the bad hormonal behaviors. Other than nest building is a sign that they have become hormonal.

To me, the downside is that if you don't give them appropriate nest building material, they may try to make a nest somewhere inappropriate, OUT OF something inappropriate. (Like your furniture.)

A bird building a nest is NOT masterbating. It is occupying it's time in a manner appropriate for a bird, in the same way as a bird who is foraging for food. Foraging behaviors have been proven to be THE OPPOSITE of bad behaviors. (Remember there was a time when "the experts" said it was dangerous for them to root around for food, lest they eat something contaminated, or inappropriate.)

For years, and years, and years, I gave "shredder boxes" to pluckers to distract them from shredding themselves, and it helped. (and this was instinctive, natural nest building behavior.) SO THIS is why I disagree with the advice. A sexually frustrated bird, who also is denied nest building material MAY try to build a nest out of its own feathers... in extreme cases. To me it's a natural, instinctive behavior.

TO ME - the problem behaviors that come WITH nest building is when they become aggressive around the nest, and attempt to defend it. THAT is when they lose the nest privilege at my house... AND THAT IS VERY, VERY REAL ESPECIALLY WITH AMAZONS AND MACAWS. Zons in particular (female eckies as well) will go into defend the nest mode... and can become quite aggressive. HOT 3's bad reputations really stem from this kind of territorial hormonally driven aggression.

AGAIN, IN MY OPINION.... I'm not an "expert." (Truth be told, I'm an opinionated a$$hole.)

Of course, I've met many of the people who are "experts" and a fair percentage of them are no more qualified than I am... so...

Always form your own opinions, and form them on the basis of what your own unique bird does.

TENDENCIES ARE EXACTLY THAT. Each bird is his or her own fingerprint. They may deviate considerably from the tendencies.

Who on earth told you that Mark? :rolleyes:
Agreed, is a self appointed expert anymore of an expert than you or I? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts