Help, tea tree humidifier

Geocritters6239

Dec 29, 2016
Hi,
Two days ago I ran the humidifier with tea tree oil(1-2 drops) in it in our medium sized room with our tiel Gizmo in it. I feel horrible for not researching it ahead of time as we are very diligent towards the safety of him. The humidifier was on for 12 hours, and he possibly came in light contact with the cloud from the humidifier. Some hours after the humidifier had run dry he began acting different. He is definitely irritated with itching, lower energy, puffed out and or sleeping most of the day. His appetite has gone down a bit. His singing has not been nearly as much the past day. I don't know what to do... He likes baths, but unless I add some sort of soap it will not cut the oil.. he is a very healthy bird. He is 16months old. Any advice? Will he be OK?:yellow1:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You need to get him to an avian vet IMMEDIATELY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums. I hope your cockatiel recovers but I agree with the others it sounds like Gizmo is suffering from toxicity. Tea tree oil can be extremely dangerous to pets. I would get him to an Avian vet as soon as humanly possible.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I use a deffuser with water and a few orange essential oil drops. My birds love it. tea tree oil isn't good for parrots, and should be avoided. Hope your Tiel is ok.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I use a deffuser with water and a few orange essential oil drops. My birds love it. tea tree oil isn't good for parrots, and should be avoided. Hope your Tiel is ok.

This is your choice but I for one would be pleased (and no offence meant) if you would keep this information to yourself. I have had a look and cannot prove or disprove that what you use is OK. Perhaps yes, perhaps no, but in the interests of bird safety please do not mention this again.

The only approved use of essential oils is in my mind those that are used by a properly trained holistic AV. TIA. :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

This is your choice but I for one would be pleased (and no offence meant) if you would keep this information to yourself. I have had a look and cannot prove or disprove that what you use is OK. Perhaps yes, perhaps no, but in the interests of bird safety please do not mention this again.

The only approved use of essential oils is in my mind those that are used by a properly trained holistic AV. TIA. :)

I like hearing what other people do, so I can do research to see if it is right for my flock. I really don't see a reason for people not to post what they do, and we can disagree so people can make their own decisions based on multiple viewpoints... One of the things I like best about the forum is so many different opinions:)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
This I feel is a bit of a mine field and took this view as not all people use such diligence in research and decision making before deciding to use.

With this in mind I enclose a link FYI

Order Essential Oils

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you for the link! I believe everyone should so as much research as possible before deciding on a course of action, and sadly, I agree that everyone does not do that.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I like hearing what other people do, so I can do research to see if it is right for my flock. I really don't see a reason for people not to post what they do, and we can disagree so people can make their own decisions based on multiple viewpoints... One of the things I like best about the forum is so many different opinions:)

And, joining in with a different opinion regarding essential oils: The process of placing misted (finely defused) oils in to our homes does not fit with the want for a clean and safe home. The process takes 'oils' and widely spreads these tiny droplets throughout the home. When they make contact with surfaces they stick to those surfaces and stay there.

Regarding Humans and Parrots that exist within the home. As part of the process of simply breathing, these same finely defused oils are taken into the Lungs / Air Sacks. The Human lung has a 'process' that slowly over years, 'can' work this contamination into lumps and commonly can hack it out. Parrot's 'based on what I have read' do not have this ability.

Too what level that and other contamination need to develop before it becomes deadly, I do not know.

Humans in most parts of the World have 'free will' and can choose to partake in a very wide cross-section of activities, short of placing others in danger. So, Choose Wisely!!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I hope Gizmo is feeling better and free of the effects. An avian vet visit is highly recommended!!

While an imperfect analogy, consider the impending tragedy resulting when Teflon is heated to high temperature. The outgassing will kill a bird nearly instantly and leave the hapless parront unscathed. While human lungs can filter a multitude of noxious fumes, birds cannot. Many folks have ditched cigarettes in favor of vaping in part due to a perception of greater safety. We don't sufficiently know the long term effects.

The same may be true with most heated scented products. Likely safe for humans, possibly hazardous or worse for pets. While I have banned any such products from my home, the search for truth is critical and involves open discussion and commentary.

Most Reactions