Is my Tiel vomiting or regurgitating? ‼️

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello 👋 I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who turns around 2 years old in November.

Today Kiko was moving his head in an up and down motion and spit out food in a pile in front of him. The food looked undigested and it was wet. He then started wiping his beak clean and went back to normal. I don’t know if this is vomit or if he was regurgitating. Should I be worried?

Below is a pic of what came out.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) 💗
IMG_7454.jpeg

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello 👋 I have a male cockatiel named Kiko who turns around 2 years old in November.

Today Kiko was moving his head in an up and down motion and spit out food in a pile in front of him. The food looked undigested and it was wet. He then started wiping his beak clean and went back to normal. I don’t know if this is vomit or if he was regurgitating. Should I be worried?

Below is a pic of what came out.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) 💗
View attachment 53477
One more thing: my brother panicked and gave him water afterwards and he started to Bob his head again but nothing came out. A couple of minutes later I also gave him some water and he bobbed his head and again nothing came out. I thought he was choking or there’s something stuck in his throat or chest but he’s acting fine?

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
One more thing: my brother panicked and gave him water afterwards and he started to Bob his head again but nothing came out. A couple of minutes later I also gave him some water and he bobbed his head and again nothing came out. I thought he was choking or there’s something stuck in his throat or chest but he’s acting fine?
UPDATE: it’s been a couple of minutes and he either vomited or regurgitated the water out and then some food. He just bobs his head, looks down, and SPITS the food out. The last time he did this exact thing was around a year ago when he spit out a lot of food and green liquid which was a mix of spinach and water.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It looks like through-up and not regurgitation.
when a bird regurgitate it normally eats and re swallows 95% of the material.

that looks like vomit and I would recommend a avian cert vet visits as soon as possible.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree most "throw up" is kinda....partially digested....this looks rather fresh.

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I agree most "throw up" is kinda....partially digested....this looks rather fresh.
I will try to get him a vet visit, however, I have heard that sometimes birds will regurgitate on you or show affection through that, which he did do to my brother. I have also heard that sometimes birds don’t re-eat the food and will regurgitate it in a pile in front of them. Is this true?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I've had a bird spit up on me and I've seen my flock french kiss puke into eachother.....such a beautful nature moment. *sigh* I guess the time lapse between it ate and now I gotta spew might be the factor. I'm not an AVN. Id also question how often and never shy away from an AVN visit. I just know the times i've seen it or had it on me it was more paste like...I'm not an expert on this.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have 2 birds that regurgitate.
Bingo my YNA only does this to me and very little of the “food” ends up on me.
I do my best to dodge his food offerings and try to discourage this behavior.

The other bird is Bella my CAG.
But…… she only regurgitates for my wife not me so I have not closely watched her. I can’t say for sure how much food she brings up and re swallows.

On the other hand my RLA was vomiting and would leave a small puddle on the floor of the cage. I have never seen that from regurgitation.

I am no vet but it sounds like maybe your bird got something contaminated that made him/her sick.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have 2 birds that regurgitate.
Bingo my YNA only does this to me and very little of the “food” ends up on me.
I do my best to dodge his food offerings and try to discourage this behavior.

The other bird is Bella my CAG.
But…… she only regurgitates for my wife not me so I have not closely watched her. I can’t say for sure how much food she brings up and re swallows.

On the other hand my RLA was vomiting and would leave a small puddle on the floor of the cage. I have never seen that from regurgitation.

I am no vet but it sounds like maybe your bird got something contaminated that made him/her sick.

One of my tiels just started doing this odd behaviour and I thought if this thread.
Rocky bounces her head up and down then she shakes her head and sprays food everywhere. It's not very wet, it's undigested pieces of food. She doesn't look sick at all. Hopefully she's ok.
One of my old tiels used to bring up some food and put it in my shoulder. Dry and undigested, same stuff I think
🤔
Is this from the crop? I thought the crop mashed up the food a bit for the little ones to eat. This stuff appears to be pre processed, pre crop.
Also can you please elaborate on the difference between through up and regurgitate

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Shaking the head and spraying the food around is usually what separates regurgitation and throwing up.
I would take her to the vet (certified avian veterinary).

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I am also in favor of seeing a vet. That looks like vomit and even if it's not, you can never be too safe. Does he have any other symptoms?

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Yeh, regurgitated food is more…digested. I think you should take him to the vet. It may be some inside sickness or something. Better safe then sorry!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Shaking the head and spraying the food around is usually what separates regurgitation and throwing up.
I would take her to the vet (certified avian veterinary).
Unfortunately vets grossly overcharge people here so i can't afford to do that every time my birds do something unusual for a short time. She was only doing that for about 10 minutes
But it's the next day here now and she appears to be doing ok 👌

Last edited:
OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Unfortunately vets grossly overcharge people here so i can't afford to do that every time my birds do something unusual for a short time. She was only doing that for about 10 minutes
But it's the next day here now and she appears to be doing ok 👌
It’s been a while with Kiko too and he seems completely normal now. It is also hard for me to go see a vet at every concern because they charge a lot and they’re very far.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It’s been a while with Kiko too and he seems completely normal now. It is also hard for me to go see a vet at every concern because they charge a lot and they’re very far.
That's why it's good this forum to get people opinions and experiences and try help out eachother

Most Reactions

Latest posts