Cockatiel with a white-patch of pin feathers(?) on the back

Bob_bird

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
cockatiel
My cockateil is 8 months old. I noticed this pin feathers about 2 months ago. Firtsly I thought that these are new feathers but they aren’t growing.Is this some sort of plucking problem?

Attachments

• BBA1D3CA-C1D7-4462-A62C-F38162C04512.jpeg
    BBA1D3CA-C1D7-4462-A62C-F38162C04512.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 78

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Looks a bit odd that he would be molting until he’s bald in an area.
I can’t really tell but it also appears he’s missing his tail?
I think a vet visit with a blood panel would be a great idea, just to make sure they’re isn’t a problem medically.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Welcome to the forums!

I think a vet visit with a blood panel would be a great idea, just to make sure they’re isn’t a problem medically.
I could be wrong but it almost looks like he chewed the feathers off above the skin in this area. Pin feathers are pointed at the end and grow in length pretty quickly and are full length feathers in a few weeks.

OP
Bob_bird

Bob_bird

Jul 5, 2023
Parrots
cockatiel
Welcome to the forums!

Right, he is missing his tail, when I adopted him, he was really frightened and whenever I walked near the cage he was going backwards and broke his tail hitting the cage with it.. But now there are growing two new feathers.. When we are talking about vets, I’m from a small town and here isn’t a good vet that can tell me what’s really the problem, that’s why I become member here, I really need help, I love my yellow baby soo much🥰

Most Reactions