Cockatiel 'yawning'

Lovetheearth112

Oct 26, 2020
WA usa, (Moving, live in rv)
Parrots
Luna F Cockatiel
Hello! I got my cockatiel, Luna, about a year ago. Whenever she asks for scritches and I rub her ear hole, she opens her beak and wobbles her head, looking like she's yawning. I think she does that because by rubbing her ear hole it like tickles her or something? But that's not the question.

When I'm hanging out with her, and I start to sing, or baby talk to her, she 'yawns' receptively. I initially thought that she was attempting to mimic me, but when I searched it up I couldn't find anything about that, except that accessive 'yawning' could mean that they have an illness or something, but she does not 'yawn' on her own unless I promote it. (ear scritches or singing)

Does anybody know what she's doing?
Thanks, S

:yellow1:

Mar 30, 2020
Texas
Parrots
13 cockatiels 2 sun conures
Hello! I got my cockatiel, Luna, about a year ago. Whenever she asks for scritches and I rub her ear hole, she opens her beak and wobbles her head, looking like she's yawning. I think she does that because by rubbing her ear hole it like tickles her or something? But that's not the question.

When I'm hanging out with her, and I start to sing, or baby talk to her, she 'yawns' receptively. I initially thought that she was attempting to mimic me, but when I searched it up I couldn't find anything about that, except that accessive 'yawning' could mean that they have an illness or something, but she does not 'yawn' on her own unless I promote it. (ear scritches or singing)

Thanks, S

When you see a cockatiel doing what looks like yawning (or singing) to us, that's actually how a bird empties there crop that has food stored in it.

OP
L

Lovetheearth112

Oct 26, 2020
WA usa, (Moving, live in rv)
Parrots
Luna F Cockatiel

Thanks, S

When you see a cockatiel doing what looks like yawning (or singing) to us, that's actually how a bird empties there crop that has food stored in it.
But why would she be doing so only when I do the two things and no other times?

Most Reactions