lovebird doesnt seem to sleep

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
hello , i have a pair of lovebirds , M and F , F lovebird simply doesnt seem to sleep like ever ,the M one i can see him get sleepy,sleep or tuck or have one eye closed but the female one i could swear never sleeps ,somehow shes VERY energetic ,i am a late sleeper so i always check her out and whenever i get close she moves or makes noise and when i call her name from far she responds even tho they are supposed to be sleeping, even in the mornings or afternoon or any time i never see her sleep or get sleepy .she does yawn but its quite rare and i only saw her do it late at night .is there something wrong with her or its normal female behavior and shes alert 24/7?

its not lighting issue .i thought the same till lately ,am not sure if its noise the ceiling fan does produce decent amount of voice but i cant turn it off am afraid they would get heat stroke or something its very hot in my country

TLDR: female lovebird doesnt sleep

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
hello , i have a pair of lovebirds , M and F , F lovebird simply doesnt seem to sleep like ever ,the M one i can see him get sleepy,sleep or tuck or have one eye closed but the female one i could swear never sleeps ,somehow shes VERY energetic ,i am a late sleeper so i always check her out and whenever i get close she moves or makes noise and when i call her name from far she responds even tho they are supposed to be sleeping, even in the mornings or afternoon or any time i never see her sleep or get sleepy .she does yawn but its quite rare and i only saw her do it late at night .is there something wrong with her or its normal female behavior and shes alert 24/7?

its not lighting issue .i thought the same till lately ,am not sure if its noise the ceiling fan does produce decent amount of voice but i cant turn it off am afraid they would get heat stroke or something its very hot in my country

TLDR: female lovebird doesnt sleep
Steady low volume noise like a ceiling fan (I hope it's off when birds are out flying around) shouldn't keep her up. Birds are light sleepers so calling for them and lifting a blanket to check on them probably wakes her up. Probably wakes him, too, but he doesn't change position so you just think he's getting a full night's sleep.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! Can you tell us more about her sleeping arrangements? Do you cover the cage at night? Any noise going on while they are sleeping?

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
Steady low volume noise like a ceiling fan (I hope it's off when birds are out flying around) shouldn't keep her up. Birds are light sleepers so calling for them and lifting a blanket to check on them probably wakes her up. Probably wakes him, too, but he doesn't change position so you just think he's getting a full night's sleep.
no worries its the type that the blades arent out in the open.i dont cover them with blanket due to heat or cover their nest ,i tried but she keeps throwing the roof off

good point yea probably he simply doesnt care thats why i dont notice him

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
Welcome to the forums! Can you tell us more about her sleeping arrangements? Do you cover the cage at night? Any noise going on while they are sleeping?
thank you, am not sure what you mean by arrangement but no i dont cover their cage its simply too hot in summer even with fans on ,no 0 noise

i only noticed it in late spring and summer since i stopped covering their cage due to heat but i do remember that back in winter she sometimes responded too unless it was very late into the night around 2am+

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
356514883_647053523999025_4857826472136158909_n.jpg

here is a pic of them ,M top, f bellow

2nd pic is their nest ,shes adorable isnt she

Attachments

• 357032308_302798002100268_7137546667370733585_n.jpg
    357032308_302798002100268_7137546667370733585_n.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 25

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 52702
here is a pic of them ,M top, f bellow

2nd pic is their nest ,shes adorable isnt she
One way to tell if your bird is getting a good night's sleep is to put fresh cage paper down right before you turn out the lights to go to sleep and look at the poop pattern on the paper in the morning. Birds have a tendency to sleep in the same spot most of the time. Each bird should have a pile of poop directly under the place they spent the night. If there is poop all over the paper in many places the bird probably had a restless night.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
One way to tell if your bird is getting a good night's sleep is to put fresh cage paper down right before you turn out the lights to go to sleep and look at the poop pattern on the paper in the morning. Birds have a tendency to sleep in the same spot most of the time. Each bird should have a pile of poop directly under the place they spent the night. If there is poop all over the paper in many places the bird probably had a restless night.
Or if there isn’t any poo, pre morning poop, it may mean they slept through the night. My bird doesn’t poop in her sleep cage at all - but she only goes in there to sleep.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Or if there isn’t any poo, pre morning poop, it may mean they slept through the night. My bird doesn’t poop in her sleep cage at all - but she only goes in there to sleep.
Really? There's no way my budgies could hold it all night! I don't know about lovebirds.

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
One way to tell if your bird is getting a good night's sleep is to put fresh cage paper down right before you turn out the lights to go to sleep and look at the poop pattern on the paper in the morning. Birds have a tendency to sleep in the same spot most of the time. Each bird should have a pile of poop directly under the place they spent the night. If there is poop all over the paper in many places the bird probably had a restless got
i tried but she ripped the paper XD tho from my observation they didnt move from their "sleeping spot" for however long i looked at them

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
good point i did look into that spot didnt see poop tho she doesnt like pooping inside her nest as far as ik its always clean tho cant fully tell cuz the amount of shredded paper,since its a female lovebird with temper i dont touch her cage or nest a lot she gets very bitey if i touch her things or her

OP
P

probathrowawayacc

Jul 14, 2023
Parrots
lovebird
also i know this is off current topic sorry but can i do anything about her biting behavior? basically my friend found her outside,couldnt take care of her cuz he had cats ,she was sweet and touchy first 2-3 days but now she either bites hard or make your skin bleed , so he gave her to me(first bird) ,unless of course she is the one to approach u even then u arent allowed to touch her tho

i do admit i grabbed her like once first time she was home but thats about it

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
also i know this is off current topic sorry but can i do anything about her biting behavior? basically my friend found her outside,couldnt take care of her cuz he had cats ,she was sweet and touchy first 2-3 days but now she either bites hard or make your skin bleed , so he gave her to me(first bird) ,unless of course she is the one to approach u even then u arent allowed to touch her tho

i do admit i grabbed her like once first time she was home but thats about it
I suggest making a new thread about this so others will see it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts