Cockatoo Doesn't Like Music?!

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
My Goffin Cockatoo, Damian, has no reaction to music. The first thing people ask when they play with Damian is if he dances to music. He does not.

I have tried Queen (always a favorite in this house), Gangnam Style, general Rock, Techno, Dubstep, Orchestral, Hip Hop, Rap, Children's, Funk, Opera, Metal, Blues, J-Pop, K-Pop, everything I happen upon.

No difference in behavior whether the music is on or not. At first I thought he might be deaf, but he's clearly not.

Anyone else's 'too not a fan of music? Any genres I should try next? I mean, if music isn't his thing, it isn't his thing. It's just. I have never heard of a 'too that didn't like music. (He's only a little over a year old, maybe he hasn't developed a taste for music yet?)

Klutch

Aug 24, 2013
Parrots
Chibi - Pink&Grey Galah
Chibi seems to love screamy music, Bring Me The Horizon, Crossfaith, Korn, Rise against, etc

Also got her headbanging furiously to speedcore once haha

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice has no interest in recorded music. If I play the piano, she generally starts off on my shoulder, inches down my arm, hops from wrist to wrist a few times then tries to chew the edge of a key. This is quite cute, if not hugely conducive to a productive practice. Guitar she's not over keen on but will tolerate it if it means more shoulder time for her. Violin, which unfortunately is my first instrument, is viewed as an instrument of torture (my neighbours may have some sympathy with this opinion, although probably not for the same reasons). I think she objects mainly to the fact that it's apparently played using a live snake to bow the strings - if I pluck it she's fine with it, but pick up the bow and she's straight back to her cage with her feathers fluffed up. We're working on it...

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Id keep trying [maybe he will find his beat ] :)

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Sometimes I think that youtube is one of the worst things that could have happened to lots of poor parrots out there because people will be disappointed their budgie doesn't speak as well as Disco or their too doesn't dance like Snowball...Parrots are all individuals and, just like people, some love music, some merely like it and some can do without it so don't worry about it, he is a perfectly good little too even if he doesn't like to dance (my husband doesn't either). But there is also the 'learned' element in their dancing. One of my toos did not react to music at the beginning but would gladly start bouncing up and down in rhythm when I do it while clapping my hands.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Sometimes I think that youtube is one of the worst things that could have happened to lots of poor parrots out there because people will be disappointed their budgie doesn't speak as well as Disco or their too doesn't dance like Snowball...Parrots are all individuals and, just like people, some love music, some merely like it and some can do without it so don't worry about it, he is a perfectly good little too even if he doesn't like to dance (my husband doesn't either). But there is also the 'learned' element in their dancing. One of my toos did not react to music at the beginning but would gladly start bouncing up and down in rhythm when I do it while clapping my hands.

I think this is probably one of the biggest things to this. Charlie 'dances', but Charlie dances because he knows that I 'dance' with him if he starts. Haven't tried Charlie with specific music, but it's almost like a bonding thing between the two of us. Merlin doesn't dance as much but he'll do other learned behaviours to get the response he wants from me. Lots of birds will just associate X music with Y response (that they want!) if they dance. So they'll dance, enjoy it and get praise and loves for it! See how it works? :)

OP
S

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
I don't get parrots expecting they'll dance or play or talk. People at the local Parrot Society all have cockatoos that dance to music, and I was wondering how many other people's 'toos don't like music.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Does he dance at all? When I adopted Rosie she did not dance, I spend weeks and weeks bobbing my head looking like an idiot and one day she caught on and started doing it too.

Rosie only dances to music if I'm dancing with her lol

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Lola doesn't seem to have any particular love of music either- I've tried many different kinds, no luck yet. She does LOVE to bounce on her own though, and we have seen her dance a bit with no music on. If I put music on while she's doing it though, many times she stops. Oh well, no worries- but I'll keep trying over time and see if anything changes. She also doesn't respond to singing, but she does to whistling- unfortunately I can't whistle :/ Luckily hubby can.

Most Reactions

Latest posts