COCKATOO IS TOO Jealous !

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Sorry for the late response, I had a heart attack.

We, have had her for 6 years, but the rescue thought she was 10 years old, so she is around 16. Sweet 16. lol...

I do pet, stroke and hug alot. I don't know what to call this reaction, but some times while I'm hugging her, she will kind quiver and blow air out I think, her nose like quickly, "poof,..poof....poof". Is it a sexual reaction ?

We have three dogs, a Terrier, bBrussel Griffon, the Sheltie and three cats. Shelby only goes after our Sheltie and sometimes, my wife, but not bad.

Yes any petting and stroking along the back, under the wings should be avoided! You are stimulating her and in turn they get frustrated because they can't mate with us. Best to stop petting any area except the head. You need to be consistent about this or she will be very confused and lash out.

It's human's job to stop an attack before it happens! Instead of watching her chase your dog down the hallway, you should be stepping inbetween and stopping this behavior as you see it happen. As she climbs down, get between too an dog. Stop her with a firm NO when she tries to attack and don't be afraid to use your hands to stop her. Dogs need protection rom birds that attack. Sounds like she needs more boundaries set by her humans. She sounds a little too spoiled that she is not getting all the attention.

Don't get me wrong, when she does anything bad, just like with children, we skold her and even ground her to her room. We never think, "ah, when she chases the dog down the hallway it's so cute". NOPE !

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The thing is, if you are cuddling her etc, you are sexually stimulating her...That has more to do with hormones than your reaction to other behavior (she is behaving in a hormonal way and she will continue to do so until those hormones decrease). She is an adult cockatoo, so while she has the mentality of a 4 year old, she is ready and willing to reproduce. When you get those hormones going, it just magnifies everything else. Also, scolding is often "fun" for cockatoos, as it involves loud noises and eye-contact lol.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska

We, have had her for 6 years, but the rescue thought she was 10 years old, so she is around 16. Sweet 16. lol...

I do pet, stroke and hug alot. I don't know what to call this reaction, but some times while I'm hugging her, she will kind quiver and blow air out I think, her nose like quickly, "poof,..poof....poof". Is it a sexual reaction ?

We have three dogs, a Terrier, bBrussel Griffon, the Sheltie and three cats. Shelby only goes after our Sheltie and sometimes, my wife, but not bad.

Oh, hope you are recovering well with a good prognosis. Glad to have you back!

While all dogs are capable of inflicting serious or fatal injury to a bird, some breeds have a lesser prey-drive. Not sure about Terriers and Shelties, but I have a Brussels Griffon (fairly rare!) and he shows no interest in my birds. That said, of course, I take no chances!!

We also have a Brussel Griffon, "Eddie". We adopted him at a shelter because nobody wanted he as he's blind. One of our most loved pets. He's my buddy !

Thanks, I am recovering very well. I've now had two in three years. I'm a diabetic so it's very hard on all organs.

Like I said above, we don't let any,...of our pets get away with bad behavior, even Eddie. Shelby get upset when we are preening the other pets sitting on the couch. She'll come down off her playstand then will come up on the couch. If we make her stay on her stand, that's when she'll yell at us. I do not,...go and get her as that would reward her actions. If she does not stop, she gets grounded.

One time when it is funny & cute, is after about 10 minutes she'll say, "I'll be good" lol.... So I then will go back and bring her back with us.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Interestingly, my Brussels Griffon is mostly blind. The breed is known for eye difficulties.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Oh, hope you are recovering well with a good prognosis. Glad to have you back!

While all dogs are capable of inflicting serious or fatal injury to a bird, some breeds have a lesser prey-drive. Not sure about Terriers and Shelties, but I have a Brussels Griffon (fairly rare!) and he shows no interest in my birds. That said, of course, I take no chances!!

We also have a Brussel Griffon, "Eddie". We adopted him at a shelter because nobody wanted he as he's blind. One of our most loved pets. He's my buddy !

Thanks, I am recovering very well. I've now had two in three years. I'm a diabetic so it's very hard on all organs.

Like I said above, we don't let any,...of our pets get away with bad behavior, even Eddie. Shelby get upset when we are preening the other pets sitting on the couch. She'll come down off her playstand then will come up on the couch. If we make her stay on her stand, that's when she'll yell at us. I do not,...go and get her as that would reward her actions. If she does not stop, she gets grounded.

One time when it is funny & cute, is after about 10 minutes she'll say, "I'll be good" lol.... So I then will go back and bring her back with us.

You have two9 in three years? Got'cha beat! I have had two in seven months! also diabetic but not insulin dependant :) HAD a lot of stress going in my life. Believe me when I say stress IS a killer!!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts