Cockatoo non stop screaming

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
What about music or TV to help give the bird other things to do? My birds and I all listen to music for a couple hours a day and sing and dance together.

And my conure loves to watch TV. She has some favorite shows like Frasier and Petkeeping. She really loves Petkeeping because it has a bunch of other birds and quite a few other critters, too. She even sings along with the theme songs of both those shows, too. She also likes Judge Judy.

I'm dying at her liking Judge Judy. I love JJ too! Kazi doesn't seem to have a favorite program but there's one commercial that's airing right now. I have no idea what it's for (the TV, when it's on, is usually in the background while I'm doing other things) but there are people screaming 'noooooooooo' in it and Kazi goes nuts. It took him about .5 seconds to pick up on the scream and so now when the commercial airs he yells along with it, but quietly. It's the funniest thing.

LOL. I had to explain to my neighbors if they see me dancing around like an idiot through the window that I'm not crazy, just doing the Hokey Pokey with Mr. Precious. He also loves headbanging to Nirvana.

The commercial is for JC Penny's. All these people see sales flyers & start screaming Nooooooooo.

Some of my neighbors think I'm nuts anyway, lol! So if they see me dancing, it will just give them something new to talk about. I'm in a rural area, but that doesn't mean they don't sometimes see me doing things they think are weird. One time when I came home from work I was talking to the abandoned kittens that were on my porch. Well, I had this feeling I was being watched, and when I turned around my next door neighbor was walking down the road with his son. He had this look on his face like I was a total loon for talking to cats, but what do I care? Yes, I talk to cats...and birds...and horses...and dogs, etc.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I'm dying at her liking Judge Judy. I love JJ too! Kazi doesn't seem to have a favorite program but there's one commercial that's airing right now. I have no idea what it's for (the TV, when it's on, is usually in the background while I'm doing other things) but there are people screaming 'noooooooooo' in it and Kazi goes nuts. It took him about .5 seconds to pick up on the scream and so now when the commercial airs he yells along with it, but quietly. It's the funniest thing.

LOL. I had to explain to my neighbors if they see me dancing around like an idiot through the window that I'm not crazy, just doing the Hokey Pokey with Mr. Precious. He also loves headbanging to Nirvana.

The commercial is for JC Penny's. All these people see sales flyers & start screaming Nooooooooo.

Some of my neighbors think I'm nuts anyway, lol! So if they see me dancing, it will just give them something new to talk about. I'm in a rural area, but that doesn't mean they don't sometimes see me doing things they think are weird. One time when I came home from work I was talking to the abandoned kittens that were on my porch. Well, I had this feeling I was being watched, and when I turned around my next door neighbor was walking down the road with his son. He had this look on his face like I was a total loon for talking to cats, but what do I care? Yes, I talk to cats...and birds...and horses...and dogs, etc.

We're rural too, but our neighbors are just a couple acres away. I'm sure they thought I was batty when we moved in. We got the huge backyard fenced in entirely for the dogs. So we go out there and play ball and I'm cheering them on and praising them and encouraging my chi mix to chase them both and bark (how she plays ball). I talk to my animals all the time. Heck, I have entire conversations with them! Now that I've added a parrot to the mix I'm even louder. There are days I'm grateful we're on a couple of acres so maybe my neighbors don't have to be subjected to the noise that goes on in this house sometimes!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Hi,
I would like to suggest getting another bird . A vet my friend uses said that cockatoos do better in company of their own kind. But many people find this out way too late when the unwanted behaviours are already ingrained in the bird.
And , someone else mentioned that you could be rewarding the screaming unknowingly. Take note of everybody's reactions towards the bird when it screams.
What does everybody do ? Do they go towards the cage and do something like cover it up or to yell or tell the bird to please be quiet ? Do you leave the room ?
Never to leave the room while the bird screams because that re enforces it.

If you cannot get another too , try a parakeet or cockatiel . Maybe just knowing there is another bird there maybe all your too needs ...

Good luck :)
Laura

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Would be nice if the OP responded to everyone's suggestions. They haven't replied since their first post.

Most Reactions