Cockatoo playpen

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Rocky's been let out of his cage every morning, even if we're both leaving for work, since he moved in over three years ago, but the last couple of months, he's decided to "rampage," as Hubby calls it, unless he's supervised. So rather than leave him locked up all day long, I set up folding wooden chairs around his cage as a barrier. He's terrified of those chairs for some reason, and he won't go near them, so he can be out and play on top of his cage or on his playstand, but the chairs keep him from rampaging through the rest of the house. Every morning before I leave, I set up the chairs and every morning, he scurries to the furthest corner of his cage with crest and wings up. I open his door and he scrambles out of the cage and goes to a corner on top of it. I'm sure this will only work so long before he'll get brave, but for now it works. He has a giant cage and personally, I think he'd be fine locked up, but he's always hard to get along with in the evening if he's been locked up all day. He gets chompy and testy and difficult. When this stops working, we'll have to come up with something else.

OP
Siobhan

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
We're both off this weekend, so we won't have to set up the barrier again until Monday. I'll get a photo then. We'll call the photo "Ticked-off Too." Sounds like a Looney Tunes segment starring Bugs Bunny.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Oh, he'll become brave in 4....3....2....

LOL, yeah...Mine is very good about staying on her perch...she hates to fly, and historically, she has only left the perch if frightened or able to climb down to the floor. Anyway, the other day, I went to the bathroom and when I came out, guess who I saw walking towards me like a Godzilla chicken? Nothing spooked her and she flew off silently..."OHH The times, they are a' changin'"

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Mine is a climber and stalker. He would make a stripper or fireman proud the way he slides down a pole.:rolleyes:

When he is out and I leave the room, here he comes. So I usually just pick him up and take him with me. If left to his own devices he will destroy something.:(

However if he is on his cage and I leave the house he tends to stay there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts